Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Paul E Condon

Default Dash shell documentation

As part of trying to keep up to date about Squeeze (which I am running now),
I want to learn more about the dash shell. I look at the man page and see
what looks like a very good effort, but not being familiar with dash, I have
no way to know what is wrong, or missing (if anything).

I see in the man page a disclaimer:

"This man page is not intended to be a tutorial or a complete
specification of the shell."

This is fine. I wouldn't expect a man page to be anything but ---
a man page. But is there, somewhere, a good tutorial? What have
the Debian maintainers been using to brush up there skills now
that they really have to use it?

And, a complete specification? I expect this to be entirely distinct
from both a man page and a tutorial. Where is there available a
specification for Dash, hopefully 'complete'?

Another statement in the man page:

"The current version of dash is in the process of being changed to
conform with the POSIX 1003.2 and 1003.2a specifications for the
shell."

This implies that dash is a work in progress. OK. So, is there a
summary of differences between the current dash, as distributed by
Debian, and the ideal dash, per the complete specification?

I'm interested in the particular flavor of dash that is used in Debian
Squeeze. The man page on my Squeeze is from BSD. Should I be looking
at a BSD web site to get answers? Which one?

I guess the correct question is What is 'up-stream' for Dash? and What
is up-stream's web site?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Javier Barroso

[...]

Wikipedia seems to have the answer :
http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/

There are a mailing list linked from that website where surely you could ask about dash secrets