Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Wireless Encryption (was NetworkManager Cannot Connect to Wireless Network)

On 07/10/2010 12:49 AM, John Frankish wrote:

Hi,

I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with wired/wireless connections.

Things work fine with the wired connection, but although NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.

The problem is that when I select the available network to join, NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128 bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect" button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.

Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible with NetworkManager?

John,

According to the IEEE, WEP-40 and WEP-104 "have been deprecated as
they fail to meet their security goals".

You should instead use WPA2-AES or, if that is not possible, WPA2-PSK.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C38B7B9.8020605@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C38B7B9.8020605@cox.net

Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 AM
John Frankish

> On 07/10/2010 12:49 AM, John Frankish wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with
> > wired/wireless connections.
> >
> > Things work fine with the wired connection, but although
> > NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will
> > not connect.
> >
> > The problem is that when I select the available network to join,
> > NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication
> > Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128
> > bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need
> > to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect"
> > button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.
> >
> > Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible
> > with NetworkManager?
>
> John,
>
> According to the IEEE, WEP-40 and WEP-104 "have been deprecated as
> they fail to meet their security goals".
>
> You should instead use WPA2-AES or, if that is not possible, WPA2-PSK.
>
> --
Thanks for the suggestion, but my old router does not support either of these
encryption formats

Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Ron Johnson

On 07/10/2010 11:12 PM, John Frankish wrote:

[snip]

According to the IEEE, WEP-40 and WEP-104 "have been deprecated as
they fail to meet their security goals".

You should instead use WPA2-AES or, if that is not possible, WPA2-PSK.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my old router does not support either of these
encryption formats

Then either upgrade your router's firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT (if
they support your router) or bite the bullet and buy a new one.

You can get really good ones mail order for US$55-60.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C399726.1000109@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C399726.1000109@cox.net

Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
John Frankish

Well OK, but this still does not solve the issue of why NetworkManager will not
Connect to the router

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Ron Johnson

On 07/10/2010 11:12 PM, John Frankish wrote:

[snip]

According to the IEEE, WEP-40 and WEP-104 "have been deprecated as
they fail to meet their security goals".

You should instead use WPA2-AES or, if that is not possible, WPA2-PSK.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my old router does not support either of these
encryption formats

Then either upgrade your router's firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT (if
they support your router) or bite the bullet and buy a new one.

You can get really good ones mail order for US$55-60.

Well OK, but this still does not solve the issue of why NetworkManager will not
Connect to the router

True enough, but there's a reason it's called Network Mangler...

--
Seek truth from facts.