Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
John Frankish

Default NetworkManager Cannot Connect to Wireless Network

Hi,

I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with wired/wireless connections.

Things work fine with the wired connection, but although NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.

The problem is that when I select the available network to join, NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128 bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect" button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.

Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible with NetworkManager?

Regards
John

Using debian testing
NetworkManager 0.8
Gnome Desktop 2.30.0
Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:49:41 +0200, John Frankish wrote:

> I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with
> wired/wireless connections.
>
> Things work fine with the wired connection, but although NetworkManager
> displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.
>
> The problem is that when I select the available network to join,
> NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication
> Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128
> bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need
> to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect"
> button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.
>
> Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible
> with NetworkManager?

Mmm, try by right-clicking on NM icon and select "Edit connections", then
go to the "Wireless" tab and try to add it from here.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 AM
John Frankish

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:49:41 +0200, John Frankish wrote:
>
> > I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with
> > wired/wireless connections.
> >
> > Things work fine with the wired connection, but although
> > NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.
> >
> > The problem is that when I select the available network to join,
> > NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication
> > Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128
> > bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I
> > need to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the
> > "Connect" button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.
> >
> > Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible
> > with NetworkManager?
>
> Mmm, try by right-clicking on NM icon and select "Edit connections",
> then go to the "Wireless" tab and try to add it from here.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
Thanks for the suggestion - I'd already tried that with the same result - i.e.
that as soon as I select "WEP 40/128-bit Key", the "apply"/"OK" button becomes
greyed out.

Note that this works on the same machine booted in tinycorelinux:

# iwconfig eth1 essid "ssid"
# iwconfig eth1 key restricted 12:34:56:78:9A:BCE:F1:23:45:67:89:AB
# udhcpc -b -i eth1

Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 06:09:37 +0200, John Frankish wrote:

>> Mmm, try by right-clicking on NM icon and select "Edit connections",
>> then go to the "Wireless" tab and try to add it from here.
>>
> Thanks for the suggestion - I'd already tried that with the same result
> - i.e. that as soon as I select "WEP 40/128-bit Key", the "apply"/"OK"
> button becomes greyed out.

(...)

Mmm, then I dunno :-?

As soon as you select a "WEP 40/128-bit" from the dropdown menu and type
a password with the right length, the "apply" button has to become
clickeable.

Anyway, you can also try with another wifi setup utility, such "wicd".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 AM
John

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 1:49 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish@slb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with wired/wireless connections.
>
> Things work fine with the wired connection, but although NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.
>
> The problem is that when I select the available network to join, NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128 bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect" button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.

I don't use NetworkManager so forgive me if this is dumb. Is there a
separate text entry box for Passphrase, and if so are you leaving it
blank and entering your Hex Password in an entry text box for 128bit
key?

John

Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Felipe Sateler

On 10/07/10 01:49, John Frankish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with wired/wireless connections.
>
> Things work fine with the wired connection, but although NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.
>
> The problem is that when I select the available network to join, NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128 bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect" button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.
>
> Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible with NetworkManager?

What are you typing into the textbox? In a later example you are putting
the : separators to iwconfig. I think you should not add them to network
manager.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 AM
John Frankish

Thanks - I'd just came to the same conclusion, i.e. entering:

12:34:56:78:9A:BCE:F1:23:45:67:89:AB

Causes the "connect" button to be greyed out, but entering:

123456789abcdef123456789ab

Leaves the "connect" button "clickable.

..but NetworkManager still does not connect

Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM
John Frankish

Hmm - now I see the following in dmesg:

ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart

There are many, many hits for this in google, but no solutions...

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM
John

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:14 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish@slb.com> wrote:

> Hmm - now I see the following in dmesg:
>
> ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart
>
> There are many, many hits for this in google, but no solutions...

I assume you have gotten things working with WEP turned off? Go the
the router and disable WEP, and similarly on your computer select "no
encryption", and make sure everything works. I can't remember if you
said you had done that or if somebody else mentioned this, but just to
be sure, it's worth checking that things work properly in the most
simple setup.

John

Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 AM
John Frankish

No, I have not tried turning WEP off, but on the same machine booted in tinycorelinux I can connect, albeit after a couple of attempts and not using NetworkManager.

Also on three other laptops (none of which use the same hardware) and an iPhone there are no problems connecting.

I'll try rmmod/modprobe ipw2100 (google suggests this might work) and if not, I guess it's ndiswrapper...