Old 07-09-2010, 11:42 PM
"Gary L. Roach"

Default Debian Network install disk doesn't find NIC

Hello everone;
I just got my new i5 based DP55kg system up and running. I inserted a
newly minted installation disk and selected the gui installation.
Everything worked fine till the program declared:

No ethernet card detected but a firewire interface is present. Do you
want to used the firewire interface?

There is a built in e1000e network interface on the board. When I
selected NO to the firewire question and list of drivers popped up. One
of the drivers was for e1000e. I selected this and the the program
cycled back to the "No eaternet card" message.

I have a driver disk for the motherboard but it looks like it's strictly
for windows.

Any suggestions

Gary R.

Archive: 4C37B3EF.1040307@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C37B3EF.1040307@verizon.net

Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Jordan Metzmeier

Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Richard Hector

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 16:42 -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> "No eaternet card"

To get that working, it needs to be plugged in to the omnomnomnibus.

Sorry.

Richard

Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Mike Viau

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:14:07 -0400 <From: titan8990@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Try the kmuto[1] installers. They have up-to-date kernels that are more
> likely to support new hardware. If that is the case, just install the
> lenny-backports kernel after installation is complete.
>

> [1] http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

I would be interested in know how that goes. The other option would be to use the debian installation media you already have and:

1) to install with no network card and you may get some module for using ethernet over firewire
2) then copy over the e1000e src tarball download from intel's website from a usb drive or other medium
3) install the build-essentials and kernel headers
4) uncompress the e1000e src tarball and compile the kernel module for your network card.

-M

Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Charles Kroeger

>https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/>Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext 4

Ok, thanks for this link, I think I can work something out.

--
CK