Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Zachary Uram

Default installing a second hard disk?

I just got a 500gb Hitachi hard drive (this is my second drive, my
first drive is /dev/sda).
What is the best way to install this in Linux? Is it better to run ext3 or ext4?

Zach

<>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Anand Sivaram

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 05:06, Zachary Uram <netrek@gmail.com> wrote:

I just got a 500gb Hitachi hard drive (this is my second drive, my

first drive is /dev/sda).

What is the best way to install this in Linux? Is it better to run ext3 or ext4?

Zach

<>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTil_1IiFV226SMWS3qm7un2O0ueKvlXgIc6VOrSH@mail .gmail.com

Whenever possible use ext4, actually ext4 got merged into the kernel during 2.6.29 times.
It depends upon what debian version you are using.* Lenny standard debian kernel is 2.6.26 which does not have support for ext4, but if you are using backports then you get 2.6.32 kernel.

Also ext4 works with squeeze/sid.

You do not need to install anything.* Just connect it, then from root do "fdisk -l" you should see your new hard drive.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:51 AM
thib

Just plug it in and format it. If it's not supposed to be bootable and you
only plan to format one block device on it (a filesystem, a physical volume,
an encrypted volume, ...), you don't have to partition it (I usually don't)
although some software *might* get confused by disks without "labels". If
you're going for one, consider GUID instead of DOS partition tables (look
for "GPT").

There's a hell lot of confusion about ext4, so I wouldn't trust much
recommendations unfortunately, you might want to dig the facts for yourself.
You can find many other ext3 vs ext4 threads here and there if you really
want to read those debates, just make sure to double check the facts and see
if the discussion is recent enough. I personally use ext4 without
hesitation, for what it's worth.

If your question was more related to the layout of your setup, feel free to
give us more information about what you want exactly. If you wanted some
pointers about the tools you should use to accomplish this, please say so.

-t

Archive: 4C37EE37.5020900@stammed.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C37EE37.5020900@stammed.net

Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Charles Kroeger

>There's a hell lot of confusion about ext4

If you had an image of a partition that used the ext3 file system and tried
to install this image unto a freshly partitioned hard drive with an ext4 file
system, would the image be destroyed or corrupted?

thanks,

--
CK

Deo Soli Debianae, Invicto, Seculari

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
thib

Charles Kroeger wrote:

If you had an image of a partition that used the ext3 file system and tried
to install this image unto a freshly partitioned hard drive with an ext4 file
system, would the image be destroyed or corrupted?

I'm sorry I really don't understand, please define what you mean by
"installing" the image.

Random guesses:
- If you want to restore the image then upgrade the ext3 filesystem to ext4,
there's no problem; you can find some procedures around the net, although
generally just mounting the filesystem as ext4 will do the trick. Note
however that only newer files will take advantage of most ext4 features
(extents,..).
- If you want to restore the ext3 filesystem image in a separate partition
than the one containing the existing (and new) ext4 filesystem, then there's
no problem either, you can mount any filesystem on any other filesystem, as
long as they have enough POSIX features (AFAIK).

-t

Archive: 4C38D9AA.4020305@stammed.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C38D9AA.4020305@stammed.net

Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Charles Kroeger

>I'm sorry I really don't understand, please define what you mean by
>"installing" the image.

Like I have an image of the data in a partition recorded on removable media.

The source of this data [hard drive] and the removable media containing the copy
[image] of this data both reside on an ext3 file system.

My question is if the hard drive is reformatted with the ext4 file system and I
re-install that 'image' [ext3 file system] will the data be corrupted?

thanks,

--
CK

Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 PM