Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Default No sound in Debian GNU/Linux Lenny 5.0.5

Hi all!

Since yesterday I've noticed I've been without sound on Debian GNU/Linux
Lenny 5.0.5. I was using a 2.6.32-bpo.2-686 kernel. While I am not sure
if the problem was after an update, I tried connecting to pci audio card
both speakers and headset, and in any case I have no sound. I did the
same test connecting the headset and speakers to another onboard audio
card and get the same result.

This is something strange because it is difficult to simultaneously have
broken the two cards or both headset and speakers. Then it makes me
think that might have broken something to do with ALSA.

I also did the same tests as above with a stable kernel 2.6.26-2-686 and
I get the same results, which gives more strength to my hypothesis.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux Lenny - Linux user #188.598

Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 20:34:48 -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> Since yesterday I've noticed I've been without sound on Debian GNU/Linux
> Lenny 5.0.5. I was using a 2.6.32-bpo.2-686 kernel. While I am not sure
> if the problem was after an update, I tried connecting to pci audio card
> both speakers and headset, and in any case I have no sound. I did the
> same test connecting the headset and speakers to another onboard audio
> card and get the same result.
>
> This is something strange because it is difficult to simultaneously have
> broken the two cards or both headset and speakers. Then it makes me
> think that might have broken something to do with ALSA.
>
> I also did the same tests as above with a stable kernel 2.6.26-2-686 and
> I get the same results, which gives more strength to my hypothesis.
>
> Any idea what could be the problem?

Have you tried the steps/tips from these FAQs?

***
General guidelines on getting sound to work
http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ

ALSA (Troubleshooting)
http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA#Troubleshooting
***