Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Sthu Deus

Default console: turning to the primary state.

Good day.

Sometimes after some bad output in console, terminal does not echoes
the typed letters at command line and does not move cursor to another
line on Enter key press.

How I can turn such a terminal to its primary state?

Thank You for Your time.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:11:39 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Sometimes after some bad output in console, terminal does not echoes the
> typed letters at command line and does not move cursor to another line
> on Enter key press.
>
> How I can turn such a terminal to its primary state?

"Ctrl+C" and sometimes "Ctrl+Z".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Tom

Hey,

<broken terminal>

How I can turn such a terminal to its primary state?

"Ctrl+C" and sometimes "Ctrl+Z".

Or "reset"?

Tschüss,
Tom

Archive: 4C36F986.7060000@virta.be">http://lists.debian.org/4C36F986.7060000@virta.be

Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Bob Proulx

Sthu Deus wrote:
> Sometimes after some bad output in console, terminal does not echoes
> the typed letters at command line and does not move cursor to another
> line on Enter key press.
>
> How I can turn such a terminal to its primary state?

There are terminal specific ways to reset. If you are using Xterm
then Xterm uses control+middlemousebutton to bring up a terminal menu
and offers "Do Full Reset" as one of the options.

Bob

Old 07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Carl Johnson

Tom <debian@virta.be> writes:

> Hey,
>
> <broken terminal>
>
>>> How I can turn such a terminal to its primary state?
>>
>> "Ctrl+C" and sometimes "Ctrl+Z".
>
> Or "reset"?

Sometimes it won't recognize CR either, but I have found that ^J
(Control-J) always works in those cases. In that case "^Jreset^J"
should work.
--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org

Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Lisi

On Friday 09 July 2010 11:11:39 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Sometimes after some bad output in console, terminal does not echoes
> the typed letters at command line and does not move cursor to another
> line on Enter key press.
>
> How I can turn such a terminal to its primary state?

As Camaleón has said, much the easiest way is Ctrl+c.

HTH
Lisi

Old 07-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón, Lisi and Bob:

> There are terminal specific ways to reset. If you are using Xterm
> then Xterm uses control+middlemousebutton to bring up a terminal menu
> and offers "Do Full Reset" as one of the options.

Well. I was speaking about KDE's console (that are shown with ps
output as pts/N) and also normal console (that are shown with ps
output as ttyM).

Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Bob Proulx

Carl Johnson wrote:
> Tom <debian@virta.be> writes:
> > Sometimes after some bad output in console...
> > <broken terminal>
> >>
> >> "Ctrl+C" and sometimes "Ctrl+Z".
> >
> > Or "reset"?

'reset' should work. It sends an escape sequence to the terminal
emulator that triggers it to initialize itself. But the terminal
already needs to be in a relatively sane operating mode in order to
enter and invoke it. If it isn't, then it won't.

> Sometimes it won't recognize CR either, but I have found that ^J
> (Control-J) always works in those cases. In that case "^Jreset^J"
> should work.

Hmm... Those address problems with the tty driver being configured
with output post processing disabled, echo turned off, raw mode turned
on, etc. AFAIK it isn't possible to get into that state by "bad
output" to the console.

I read bad output and think that someone did something such as 'cat
/bin/sh' or some such and the binary characters to the terminal
confused the terminal emulator. (It is almost always a terminal
emulator these days. How many people use an actual hardware terminal
anymore? [If you feel compelled to answer, please do so in another
thread. :-) ])

Therefore I reason that if it is an unusable terminal state due to
binary output to the terminal then I think the solution must require
some reset of the terminal emulator.

Bob

Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Bob Proulx

Sthu Deus wrote:
> Well. I was speaking about KDE's console (that are shown with ps
> output as pts/N) and also normal console (that are shown with ps
> output as ttyM).

Well... I read this part:

> Sometimes after some bad output in console...

That often means that binary characters were sent to the terminal
(such as from 'cat /bin/sh' or some such) and the terminal interpreted
that splat of binary data as an escape sequence and did whatever those
commands told it to do. This often leaves a terminal emulator in a
bad state.

Since you didn't say what terminal emulator you were using I could
only guess at a standard one and speculatively propose a solution in
that case.

For KDE's terminal or GNOME's terminal I am sure that each has its own
unique way of doing a terminal emulator reset.

Bob