-   -   Lenny Suspend to Ram tip sharing (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/396874-lenny-suspend-ram-tip-sharing.html)

Liam O'Toole 07-09-2010 06:52 AM

On 2010-07-09, Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com> wrote:
> --0016e6469ae03fa5a2048aec7e9c
>
> I have been researching for close to 6 months now and trying different
> things, to finally have stumbled on several tips tonight that I combined to
> make a working solution that I wanted to share if others do not have suspend
> to ram with Lenny working in hopes this may help, since this list has
> offered me plenty of help in the past. The machine is a Dell Inspiron 8600.
>
> -no custom grahics drivers installed (i.e. no nvidia-kernel-..., nothing
> nvidia special just the kernel drivers)
> -video card is an nvidia geforce go 5200
>
> To get suspend to ram to work:
>
> -install uswsusp package
> -during Gnome session (not tested with KDE) Ctrl-Alt-F1
> -login, then su to become root
> -issue s2ram command
>
> Upon restarting, Ctrl-C to see a prompt again, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back
> to Gnome.

Is gnome-power-manager installed? It allows you to achieve the above
simply by closing the lid.

> I've been testing it pretty hard tonight and it's worked everytime. About
> to try it on a Dell Latitude D800 and see if it works there also (fingers
> crossed).

I have found support for Dells to be very good with regard to
suspend-to-RAM.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Mark 07-09-2010 06:59 AM

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:

I have found support for Dells to be very good with regard to

suspend-to-RAM.

What video cards you have used suspend to ram on that worked?* 2 of my 3 Dell/nvidia laptops suspend to ram but do not resume due to the nvidia cards (Inspiron 8600 and Latitude D800, Googling will bring up nothing but horror stories for people not getting Linux to suspend and resume).

Liam O'Toole 07-09-2010 08:31 AM

On 2010-07-09, Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com> wrote:
> --e0cb4e88735f832359048aeef02e
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I have found support for Dells to be very good with regard to
>> suspend-to-RAM.
>>

> What video cards you have used suspend to ram on that worked? 2 of my 3
> Dell/nvidia laptops suspend to ram but do not resume due to the nvidia cards
> (Inspiron 8600 and Latitude D800, Googling will bring up nothing but horror
> stories for people not getting Linux to suspend and resume).

Currently I am running two models, a D420 and a D820, both with
integrated Intel video cards. I am very happy with them in terms of
suspend-to-RAM. Ditto with an Asus eee PC. A couple of years ago I ran a
Thinkpad T42 with an ATI card and with the radeon driver; that performed
well too. I have never run a laptop with an NVidia chip, so I can't
comment on that case.

You might try hacking the scripts under /etc/acpi to remove the nvidia
kernel module before suspending and insert the module again before
resuming. It could take quite a while to get it right, however.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Mark 07-09-2010 04:00 PM

Lenny Suspend to Ram tip sharing

Currently I am running two models, a D420 and a D820, both with

integrated Intel video cards. I am very happy with them in terms of

suspend-to-RAM. Ditto with an Asus eee PC. A couple of years ago I ran a

Thinkpad T42 with an ATI card and with the radeon driver; that performed

well too. I have never run a laptop with an NVidia chip, so I can't

comment on that case.

You might try hacking the scripts under /etc/acpi to remove the nvidia

kernel module before suspending and insert the module again before

resuming. *It could take quite a while to get it right, however.

Ah, yes I've had good luck with Intel also, but nvidia is another beast.* I tried all kinds of things under /etc/acpi, /sys/power/state, etc.* But now I have a solution I'm happy with so all is good.* Had a Dell with an ATI card before and suspend/resume worked with the stock kernel, didn't even need the ATI drivers.

Thanks,
Mark