Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Iffat Jabeen

Default Help with Research

Dear users of Gnu/Linux,

Do you use Gnu/Linux? Do you consider yourself part of a larger
Gnu/Linux free and open source software community? Whether you've just
starting clicking around in Ubuntu or you've been tweaking your kernel

for years, we are interested in learning about if, and how, you've
learned (and possibly taught) as part of the Gnu/Linux community.

As part of our graduate studies, we, Don Davis and Iffat Jabeen, are
compiling a survey of Gnu/Linux users and their possible learning

experiences within the context of the Gnu/Linux FOSS community. The
results of the study will be presented to other Education Technologists
and may further the education world's* understanding of the Gnu/Linux

community.

Please share your experiences via the following link:
http://survey.education.txstate.edu/mrIWeb/mrIWeb.dll?I.Project=LPP

Your assistance in distributing the survey link to LUGs and* Gnu/Linux
oriented forums is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Don Davis and Iffat Jabeen

Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 08 iul 10, 21:32:36, Iffat Jabeen wrote:
> Dear users of Gnu/Linux,

May I suggest a better Subject? I almost reported/deleted you mail
without reading...

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Alan Chandler

[...]

I did the survey

I see three problems with it

1) Outside the US, I don't understand your school system - so
referencing what I assumed where school grades meant I had to guess what
you meant.

2) You don't provide ANY guidance as to the scope of what you mean by
GNU/Linux - so I was somewhat thrown by the question in the middle about
helping projects outside of GNU/Linux. In particular, I had assumed a
broad scope - but then didn't know what to think when you get into
projects that are cross boundary (for instance Javascript Libraries or
Java).

3) I got confused about your use of the term "package". What about
applications that are not packaged - I have chat, airhockey and football
match picking competition applications that are just that - applications
unpackaged.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4C3705CE.4060804@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C3705CE.4060804@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Lisi

On Friday 09 July 2010 12:19:42 Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 09/07/10 03:32, Iffat Jabeen wrote:
> > Dear users of Gnu/Linux,
[snip]
> > Please share your experiences via the following link:
> > http://survey.education.txstate.edu/mrIWeb/mrIWeb.dll?I.Project=LPP
> >
> > Your assistance in distributing the survey link to LUGs and Gnu/Linux
> > oriented forums is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you for your time,
> >
> > Don Davis and Iffat Jabeen
>
> I did the survey
+1

> I see three problems with it
+1

> 1) Outside the US, I don't understand your school system - so
> referencing what I assumed where school grades meant I had to guess what
> you meant.

I understood it. I did grade six when I was ten. But it does not really
equate to our system in a meaningful way, so I just did my best. I found it
hard to remember in the questions that kindergarten in the American system !=
nursery in ours, and the children referenced were older than 3. When I was
young nursery schools here were often called kindergartens.

> 2) You don't provide ANY guidance as to the scope of what you mean by
> GNU/Linux - so I was somewhat thrown by the question in the middle about
> helping projects outside of GNU/Linux. In particular, I had assumed a
> broad scope - but then didn't know what to think when you get into
> projects that are cross boundary (for instance Javascript Libraries or
> Java).

I found this with many of the questions. In particular, as is the case with
most multiple choice questionnaires/exams, the answers were only available
where you had thought of them as possible, and in quite a few cases I had
considerable difficulty deciding what on earth to put.

> 3) I got confused about your use of the term "package". What about
> applications that are not packaged - I have chat, airhockey and football
> match picking competition applications that are just that - applications
> unpackaged.

It was often hard to envisage what was meant - and "other, please specify"
would have been useful.

Also, you have asked us to fill it in before and did not explain why a second
try was needed.
Lisi