Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Angus Hedger

Default Clarification: Opinions & why: What's the best DVD setup for Debian AMD64 system

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:30 AM, John W Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 21:57 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
>> Opinions & why: What's the best DVD setup for Debian AMD64 system.
>>
> I have a DVD Player thet simply does not work with Debian. I've never
>
> used one b/4 on Linux so I'm wondering what is the best DVD player
>
> from Debian to use. I have tried Mplayer, Totem, & the VLC plugin.
>
> None of them will read a DVD rented from RedBox or Blockbuster.
>
> Why? It loads the index info then errors out saying it cant read
>
> the DVD. Any ides, tips etc. This is a new system running squeeze
>
> with a little sid and the video stuff is all I'm haveing issues with.
>
> The crappy flashplayer does not work well either. A great deal of
>
> this is that I,m completely new to AMD 64 bit systems.
> Thanks
> John

Hey

1) to fix the DVD issue.

You need to add the http://debian-multimedia.org/ repo

then sudo aptitude install libdvdcss2

Then DVD's should work in VLC or w.e you want to use.

2) flash player

sudo aptitude install flashplayer-mozilla (should come in from d-m,
this is the 32bit version of flash 10.1 +nspluginwrapper + the needed
ia32libs)

Regards,

Angus