Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 AM
John W Foster

Default Clarification: Opinions & why: What's the best DVD setup for Debian AMD64 system

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 21:57 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> Opinions & why: What's the best DVD setup for Debian AMD64 system.

I have a DVD Player thet simply does not work with Debian. I've never

used one b/4 on Linux so I'm wondering what is the best DVD player

from Debian to use. I have tried Mplayer, Totem, & the VLC plugin.

None of them will read a DVD rented from RedBox or Blockbuster.

Why? It loads the index info then errors out saying it cant read

the DVD. Any ides, tips etc. This is a new system running squeeze

with a little sid and the video stuff is all I'm haveing issues with.

The crappy flashplayer does not work well either. A great deal of

this is that I,m completely new to AMD 64 bit systems.
Thanks
John

Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 AM
James Zuelow

> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 21:57 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
>> Opinions & why: What's the best DVD setup for Debian AMD64 system.
>>
> I have a DVD Player thet simply does not work with Debian. I've never
>
> used one b/4 on Linux so I'm wondering what is the best DVD player
>
> from Debian to use. I have tried Mplayer, Totem, & the VLC plugin.
>
> None of them will read a DVD rented from RedBox or Blockbuster.
>
> Why? It loads the index info then errors out saying it cant read
>
> the DVD. Any ides, tips etc. This is a new system running squeeze
>
> with a little sid and the video stuff is all I'm haveing issues with.

Did you grab libdvdcss2 from Debian Multimedia?

You'll need that for commercial (encrypted) DVDs.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM
John W Foster

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 01:47 +0100, Angus Hedger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:30 AM, John W Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 21:57 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> >> Opinions & why: What's the best DVD setup for Debian AMD64 system.
> >>
> > I have a DVD Player thet simply does not work with Debian. I've never
> >
> > used one b/4 on Linux so I'm wondering what is the best DVD player
> >
> > from Debian to use. I have tried Mplayer, Totem, & the VLC plugin.
> >
> > None of them will read a DVD rented from RedBox or Blockbuster.
> >
> > Why? It loads the index info then errors out saying it cant read
> >
> > the DVD. Any ides, tips etc. This is a new system running squeeze
> >
> > with a little sid and the video stuff is all I'm haveing issues with.
> >
> > The crappy flashplayer does not work well either. A great deal of
> >
> > this is that I,m completely new to AMD 64 bit systems.
> > Thanks
> > John
>
> Hey
>
> 1) to fix the DVD issue.
>
> You need to add the http://debian-multimedia.org/ repo
>
> then sudo aptitude install libdvdcss2
>
> Then DVD's should work in VLC or w.e you want to use.
>
> 2) flash player
>
> sudo aptitude install flashplayer-mozilla (should come in from d-m,
> this is the 32bit version of flash 10.1 +nspluginwrapper + the needed
> ia32libs)
>
> Regards,
>
> Angus

-------------------------------
Well that took care of the worst of the flash issues. I suppose I will
just have to wait until Adobe gets their crap together & realizes that
Linux users are a rapidly growing percentage of the software using
market. The results arw that using the 32bit libs plays the video
streams; but there is a lot of flickering caused by the browser allowing
bleed thru of some of the webpage content that is not part of the video
stream. Seems it cant tell the movie from the ads that are flashed based
on the web page & tries to play the all as a single stream. Iceweasel
that is.
Thanks.
John

Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM