Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 AM
"Wouter van Vliet / Interpotential"

Default Upgrading from Etch to Lenny ends in SSH problems

Hi All,
I've just been attempting an (more than just slightly) overdue upgrade from Etch to Lenny on a machine I don't have physical access to. At first, everything seemed to work fine. But after a while my connection (over ssh) was dropped and all my box returns now is 'connection closed' when I try to reconnect. It gives me this:

wouter@wouter-desktop:~$ ssh -vvv root@www.#########.nlOpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu4, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config

debug1: Applying options for *debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0debug1: Connecting to www.#########.nl [###.###.###.###] port 22.debug1: Connection established.debug1: identity file /home/wouter/.ssh/identity type -1

debug1: identity file /home/wouter/.ssh/id_rsa type -1debug1: identity file /home/wouter/.ssh/id_dsa type -1debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5

debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5 pat OpenSSH*debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu4debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sentdebug3: Wrote 792 bytes for a total of 831Connection closed by ###.###.###.###
Of course I've already activated customer support, hoping that my hosting company is willing to physically go to the server. But I was hoping that you might have some suggestions on what I might be able to try. Though I know my options are limited

And at the same time I'm wondering what's causing it, and how I could have prevented it. I upgraded with a simple: apt-get dist-upgrade
Thanks!Wouter

--
http://www.interpotential.com
http://www.ilikealot.com

Phone: +4520371433

Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Alexander Batischev

Hi!

Well, maybe something happened to passwordless authentication - did you try
to connect using password, not RSA key? To do so, you can simply move
~/.ssh/id* somewhere and try to connect. You should be asked for a password
that time.

I'm not sure about that, but hope that helps.

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81

Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
"Wouter van Vliet / Interpotential"

Ok, so apparently the problem had all sorts of things to do with the host key being blacklisted, and therefore labeled as 'compromised'. Of course one can't SSH in anymore in such a situation.

How to prevent it? Well, I probably should have checked with ssh-vulnkey before doing the upgrade.
W.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 05:52:22PM +0200, Wouter van Vliet / Interpotential wrote:
> Ok, so apparently the problem had all sorts of things to do with the host
> key being blacklisted, and therefore labeled as 'compromised'. Of course one
> can't SSH in anymore in such a situation.
>
> How to prevent it? Well, I probably should have checked with ssh-vulnkey
> before doing the upgrade.

I actually wonder why the problem didn't hurt you before that. If you
had a bad host key for so long, you must have recieved some
warnings/errors about it from some ssh clients.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend