Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Paul Scott

Default wireless connected was: corrupted firmware-linux-nonfree 0.26

On 07/07/2010 02:46 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 14:30:00 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

On 2010-07-07 22:17 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

I would kill NetworkManager and test whether your card can associate
with the AP if you set it up directly in /etc/network/interfaces. (Check
the output of"iwconfig eth2").

Stopping network-manager got me an instant association with dhclient. I
didn't need to change /etc/network/interfaces.

Also, try if "iwlist scan eth2" (as root) does list your AP correctly.

It does. (Actually iwlist eth2 scan). Now to figure out why WPA
doesn't always work.

I will also try reinstalling wicd instead of network-manager.

Thanks!!

Paul

Archive: 4C3508E3.5080706@ultrasw.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C3508E3.5080706@ultrasw.com

Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 07 iul 10, 16:08:19, Paul Scott wrote:

> >I would kill NetworkManager and test whether your card can associate
> >with the AP if you set it up directly in /etc/network/interfaces. (Check
> >the output of"iwconfig eth2").
>
> Stopping network-manager got me an instant association with
> dhclient. I didn't need to change /etc/network/interfaces.

Do you mean you also had it configured in /etc/network/interfaces? That
would explain the problem...

> >Also, try if "iwlist scan eth2" (as root) does list your AP correctly.
>
> It does. (Actually iwlist eth2 scan). Now to figure out why WPA
> doesn't always work.
>
> I will also try reinstalling wicd instead of network-manager.

Whichever you end up using, don't forget to comment-out any relevant
entry in /etc/network/interfaces otherwise neither of the two will work.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Paul Scott

I would kill NetworkManager and test whether your card can associate
with the AP if you set it up directly in /etc/network/interfaces. (Check
the output of"iwconfig eth2").

Stopping network-manager got me an instant association with
dhclient. I didn't need to change /etc/network/interfaces.

Do you mean you also had it configured in /etc/network/interfaces? That
would explain the problem...

No, it wasn't. At this point I'm not completely sure how to configure
wireless there. I'm going to check that out now as a backup.

Whichever you end up using, don't forget to comment-out any relevant
entry in /etc/network/interfaces otherwise neither of the two will work.

Thanks,

Paul