Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
"Danny Seth"

Default installing debian 5 on dell inspiron 580s

Title: installing debian 5 on dell inspiron 580s

hi there,

I just got a new dell 580s with windows 7 and I3-530 processor. I partitioned the drive within windows and proceeded to install debian using the latest x86 net disk (I burnt the latest 150M ISO to a CD for the installation). Everythng goes fine except that it fails to detect the ethernet adapter. I'm then prompted to pick a driver from a long list.

I called Dell to ask which adapter I had inside and they said it was the Broadcom 57788. I couldn't find this exact model number on broadcom's website but from their website I learnt that they have a bunch of drivers like tg3, bnx2 and b44. I tried all three but none works. (http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php)

I proceed with the install without network thinking it may work afterwords and was able to log in as root, etc. However, without the network support I can't do much.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

- Danny

Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Arthur Machlas

> I just got a new dell 580s with windows 7 and I3-530 processor. I
> partitioned the drive within windows and proceeded to install debian using
> the latest x86 net disk (I burnt the latest 150M ISO to a CD for the
> installation). Everythng goes fine except that it fails to detect the
> ethernet adapter. I'm then prompted to pick a driver from a long list.

Can't help much with your current situation, however since you said
"any help" I will offer a couple thoughts:

1) On very new hardware like your shiny new laptop, you may have a
better experience using Squeeze, Debian's current "Testing" distro
which is actually quite stable right now and only a few months away
from freeze.

2) As you realized a netinst disc without a network connection isn't
very useful. CD or DVD 1 would be a much better option for you, though
with Broadcom you're still likely to encounter problems that may or
may-not be alleviated by using a kernel from backports or by simply
using Squeeze (see pt.1).

Typing "Broadcom 57788" into www.google.com/linux (the linux google
search engine) turns up some similar reports of problems getting the
native linux drivers to work. E.g.,
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/bugme-new/2010-June/025009.html

It may be you need to use something called ndsiwrapper, and a windows
driver until such time as you can resolve the native linux driver
issues, or else focus on getting the wireless to work (if that's an
option for you) and forget the ethernet completely for the time being.

Best,
AM

Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Danny Seth wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking a kernel from Lenny backports will support your net card
www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions , the easy thing to
do is to drop in an older pci network card that will be supported by
your current kernel.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu lucid KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10