Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Camaleón

Default dry humor

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 22:47:11 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 July 2010 21:23:22 Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>> Youtube and pr0n are the stereotypical/archetypal Flash applications.
>> If I'd included a winky or tongue-out emoticon, no one would have said
>> a word about my post, just grinned slightly as they read it, or thought
>> to themselves "that wasn't really funny" and moved on.
>
> No matter how many emoticons you had included, I should still have had
> to look up what you meant by pr0n, and wish I hadn't when I had. It's
> not funny on a list frequented by all ages and both genders, doubly so
> without the facial expressions (emoticons) which indicate that, even if
> the reader doesn't find it so, the writer intended it to be humourous.

Maybe we are being a bit strict with that comment. In fact, when I read
the full paragraph it took me a "half-smile" because I caught the "irony"
behind it.

O.k, not everybody is able to catch the words in the right context and
written text (without such "edulcorants" smilies ) can sometimes sound a
bit "rude".

I understood it was just a joke, and knowing the Adobe Flash trajectory
(it is indeed the preferred container for delivering media streaming in
almost 95% of Internet A/V content), I took Stan H. comment more than a
statistical note than anything else.

:-) ← yes, that is an smiley face.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Lisi put forth on 7/6/2010 4:47 PM:

> The inference that anyone who uses Flash must want it to watch pornography was
> unpleasant and distasteful. I cannot be the only person who has never looked
> at pornography, never will look at pornography and didn't know until now,
> when you told us, that it ran on Flash.

Adobe Flash evangelist Lee Brimelow tells us by demonstration how important
pornography is to Adobe's Flash business, and thus to their customers.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/adobe-porn-flash/

Pr0n is literally everywhere, unfortunately. It's a multi billion dollar a
year business, and the bulk of it is currently distributed via Adobe Flash
Player. Apparently the pornography industry is getting tired of paying the
Adobe tax, however, and are attempting to move to HMTL5:

http://ecommerce-journal.com/node/28655

Don't blame me for associating pr0n with Flash. Adobe did so themselves years
ago. And it's one of their biggest money makers.

--
Stan

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Andrei Popescu

,----[ RFC 1855: http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html ]
| Remember that the recipient is a human being whose culture, language,
| and humor have different points of reference from your own. Remember
| that date formats, measurements, and idioms may not travel well. Be
| especially careful with sarcasm.
`----

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Mihira Fernando

On 07/07/2010 12:18 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:

,----[ RFC 1855: http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html ]
| Remember that the recipient is a human being whose culture, language,
| and humor have different points of reference from your own. Remember
| that date formats, measurements, and idioms may not travel well. Be
| especially careful with sarcasm.
`----

Regards,
Andrei

Wow! there's a RFC for humour as well! :P

Archive: 4C34362E.4000909@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C34362E.4000909@gmail.com

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 13:39:18 +0530
Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mihira,

> Wow! there's a RFC for humour as well! :P

Indeed. Humour, it seems, is not a laughing matter.

(groan)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is