Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Default dry humor

Ron Johnson put forth on 7/6/2010 1:33 PM:
> On 07/06/2010 01:40 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Mark put forth on 7/5/2010 11:51 PM:
>>
>>> I admire the OP's class in his response. Thought that comment about
>>> youtube
>>> and pr0n was completely unnecessary and unsolicited when I read it.
>>
>> Dry humor doesn't include emoticons.
>>

> "If you're that addicted to youtube and pr0n" is only dryly humorous
> among friends.

Youtube and pr0n are the stereotypical/archetypal Flash applications. If I'd
included a winky or tongue-out emoticon, no one would have said a word about
my post, just grinned slightly as they read it, or thought to themselves "that
wasn't really funny" and moved on.

This is why most people hate dry humor, and hate comics such as Steven Wright,
because they just can't "get it" without an external social queue telling them
it's funny (in this case an emoticon). This is why most/all sitcoms have
laugh tracks.

I know you'll attempt to rebut this Ron, so should I go ahead and dig up all
the sociology research that prove my point? :P

Obviously Mark isn't a Steven Wright fan. Apparently you aren't either. From
now on I'll be damn sure to stick emoticons all over my comments intended to
be humorous lest I cause another row with the dry humor.

--
Stan

Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Patrick Ouellette

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 03:23:22PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Obviously Mark isn't a Steven Wright fan. Apparently you aren't either. From
> now on I'll be damn sure to stick emoticons all over my comments intended to
> be humorous lest I cause another row with the dry humor.

Well, I AM a Steven Wright fan and I though the p0rn remark was over the line,
not funny and in poor taste. Maybe I'm just getting older, who knows.

Ask anyone who knows me and you'll find I'm no stranger to dry humor, sarcasm,
and other things that don't translate well to the ASCII text world.

At least the presence of an emoticon lets people know you are not serious
absent the body language and vocal inflections.

Pat

--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 21:23:22 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Ron Johnson put forth on 7/6/2010 1:33 PM:
> > On 07/06/2010 01:40 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> Mark put forth on 7/5/2010 11:51 PM:
> >>
> >> Dry humor doesn't include emoticons.
> >
> > "If you're that addicted to youtube and pr0n" is only dryly humorous
> > among friends.
>
> Youtube and pr0n are the stereotypical/archetypal Flash applications. If
> I'd included a winky or tongue-out emoticon, no one would have said a word
> about my post, just grinned slightly as they read it, or thought to
> themselves "that wasn't really funny" and moved on.

No matter how many emoticons you had included, I should still have had to look
up what you meant by pr0n, and wish I hadn't when I had. It's not funny on a
list frequented by all ages and both genders, doubly so without the facial
expressions (emoticons) which indicate that, even if the reader doesn't find
it so, the writer intended it to be humourous.

The inference that anyone who uses Flash must want it to watch pornography was
unpleasant and distasteful. I cannot be the only person who has never looked
at pornography, never will look at pornography and didn't know until now,
when you told us, that it ran on Flash.

Lisi