Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Arthur Machlas

Default how to automaticaly turn off touchpad using xinput

> The problem is that sometimes the xinput id of the touchpad differs and having
> it in .xinputrc sometimes turned off the track point and sometimes even the
> keyboard which really hinders its usability. Is there some automatic way to do
> this in a secure fasion like using the name returned by input layer and used
> by xinput?
>
> Also after resume/suspend the touchpad is enabled again and I have to manualy
> turn it off.

Haven't tried this in a while, as I'm using synclient now to do the
job, but used to do what you're talking about by removing the psmouse
module.

If rmmod psmouse turns off your touchpad, and leaves the usb mice
working, perhaps that would be a simple solution, with blacklist
module, or rmmod script called by rc.local and a sleep.d hook assuming
pm-utils.

Best,
AM

Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Martin Kraus

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 12:36:40PM -0500, Arthur Machlas wrote:
> > The problem is that sometimes the xinput id of the touchpad differs and having
> > it in .xinputrc sometimes turned off the track point and sometimes even the
> > keyboard which really hinders its usability. Is there some automatic way to do
> > this in a secure fasion like using the name returned by input layer and used
> > by xinput?
> >
> > Also after resume/suspend the touchpad is enabled again and I have to manualy
> > turn it off.
>
> Haven't tried this in a while, as I'm using synclient now to do the
> job, but used to do what you're talking about by removing the psmouse
> module.
>
> If rmmod psmouse turns off your touchpad, and leaves the usb mice
> working, perhaps that would be a simple solution, with blacklist
> module, or rmmod script called by rc.local and a sleep.d hook assuming
> pm-utils.

I'm actualy using the track point which is also driven by the psmodule. I've
been wondering if there is a way to actualy turn of the /dev/input/eventn for
the touchpad. It might even be possible to turn it off in xorg.conf in
configuration for the evdev but I don't want to bother about xorg.conf
anymore if there is a hotplug way to work with it.

mk