Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Vincent Lefevre

Default Restarting network

On 2011-07-09 16:29:55 +0100, Brian wrote:
> As a matter of observation I notice the booting process pauses when
> /e/n/i uses
>
> auto etho
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> It may only be for 2 or 3 seconds while dhclient does what it has to do
> and outputs its actions to the screen, but it can be longer. Without a
> network cable attached there is a 60 second delay before booting
> continues.
>
> Substitute 'allow-hotplug' for 'auto' and there is no pausing at all and
> dhclient gets on with its job in the background.

I remember having problems with 'allow-hotplug' (my machine is a
laptop, so with additional problems related to suspend/resume).
I now use the netplug package, which automatically brings eth0 up
and down when a cable is plugged/unplugged. One just needs to add
the --force option for ifup in the /etc/netplug/netplug script,
because eth0 may already be up, but unconfigured (bug 619866).