Old 07-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Tony van der Hoff

Default Restarting network

Having made some config changes to my network, I did:

root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart

That results in:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
enable again some interfaces ... (warning).

Reconfiguring network interfaces...

OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |

Archive: 4E15C5C6.8090500@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E15C5C6.8090500@vanderhoff.org

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:42:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
>
> root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> That results in:
>
> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
> enable again some interfaces ... (warning). Reconfiguring network
> interfaces...
>
> OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

/etc/init.d/networking stop && /etc/init.d/networking start

:-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Wayne Topa

On 07/07/2011 10:42 AM, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
>
> root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> That results in:
>
> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
> enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> Reconfiguring network interfaces...
>
> OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

Um how about in wheezy or sid
service networking stop ; service networking start

Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
William Hopkins

On 07/07/11 at 03:42pm, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
>
> root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> That results in:
>
> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
> not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> Reconfiguring network interfaces...
>
> OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

stop && start. Although I always just use the ifdown/ifup scripts directly.

--
Liam

Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Brian

On Thu 07 Jul 2011 at 15:42:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
>
> root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> That results in:
>
> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
> enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> Reconfiguring network interfaces...
>
> OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

'/etc/init.d/networking restart' will only act on interfaces which are
marked 'auto' in /etc/network/interfaces. The same applies to
stop/start.

All your interfaces are marked 'auto'? Go ahead and use the networking
script.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Wayne Topa wrote:

Having made some config changes to my network, I did:

root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart

That results in:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
enable again some interfaces ... (warning).

Reconfiguring network interfaces...

OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

Um how about in wheezy or sid
service networking stop ; service networking start

Neat. Sad to say I did not know 'service' :-(

Hugo

Archive: iv4njr$so7$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iv4njr$so7$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Joe

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:20:05 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 07 Jul 2011 at 15:42:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
> > Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
> >
> > root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
> >
> > That results in:
> >
> > Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
> > not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> > Reconfiguring network interfaces...
> >
> > OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??
>
> '/etc/init.d/networking restart' will only act on interfaces which are
> marked 'auto' in /etc/network/interfaces. The same applies to
> stop/start.
>
> All your interfaces are marked 'auto'? Go ahead and use the networking
> script.

But presumably at boot, all interfaces, whether auto or not, are
successfully started, and presumably properly closed down on shutdown.
Is there no command-line access to whatever mechanism does this? Do we
really need to keep a list of current interface names on a sticky
note on the monitor and ifup them individually?

Absolutely no offence meant at all to anybody, but that sounds a bit...
well... retrograde.

--
Joe

Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Joe

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM
William Hopkins

On 07/07/11 at 11:26am, Wayne Topa wrote:
> On 07/07/2011 10:42 AM, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
> >
> > root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
> >
> > That results in:
> >
> > Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
> > enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> > Reconfiguring network interfaces...
> >
> > OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??
> >

> Um how about in wheezy or sid
> service networking stop ; service networking start

Always use && and not ';'; otherwise you may run start after an unsuccessful
stop.

--
Liam

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM