Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Default strange freezes or lock ups on memory intensive tasks

H.S. put forth on 7/6/2010 12:42 AM:

> This is on an AMD 64 bit processor (AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor)
> with Debian Unstable (32 bit kernel) installed. I have noticed that
> when I am running a RAM intensive task, usually when browsing large
> photo files in geeqie and sometimes when starting firefox or chromium,
> the PC hangs or locks up or freezes. The only solution is to reboot the
> computer.

What motherboard? Integrated video/GPU or add in card? Have you tried a
different power supply yet?

--
Stan

Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
"H.S."

On 06/07/10 02:47 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> What motherboard? Integrated video/GPU or add in card? Have you tried a
> different power supply yet?

Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H. Chipset: AMD 790GX/SB750
Onboard graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
Audio chipset: Realtek ALC889A
LAN: Gigabit, Realtek 8111C

Presently I am using onboard graphics, but till a few weeks ago I was
using a PCIe Nvidia graphics card and the computer was still freezing
the same way.

ever having been read.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:15:03 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/07/10 02:47 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >
> > What motherboard? Integrated video/GPU or add in card? Have you
> > tried a different power supply yet?
> >

> Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H. Chipset: AMD 790GX/SB750
> Onboard graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
> Audio chipset: Realtek ALC889A
> LAN: Gigabit, Realtek 8111C
>
> Presently I am using onboard graphics, but till a few weeks ago I was
> using a PCIe Nvidia graphics card and the computer was still freezing
> the same way.

Generally hard freezes of the type you are describing is due to bad
hardware. I trust ATI as much as I trust M$, but since you had the
same symptoms with the Nvidia, the video card is probably not the
problem. The problems I have seen with this kind of locking are:

memory
video cards

in that order.

I guess there is a remote possibility something is overheating.

Can you get the temperature readouts ?

If it's easy to do, try underclocking the CPU and buses. Timing on the
MB could be off due to poor design, and running things slower would
improve the margins.

Make sure the bios settings for the memory are correct. These days
it's supposed to read it from memory, but maybe it got stuck in manual
mode for some reason and the timings are screwed up.

Brian

Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Stan Hoeppner

H.S. put forth on 7/6/2010 8:15 AM:
> On 06/07/10 02:47 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>> What motherboard? Integrated video/GPU or add in card? Have you tried a
>> different power supply yet?
>>

> Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H. Chipset: AMD 790GX/SB750
> Onboard graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
> Audio chipset: Realtek ALC889A
> LAN: Gigabit, Realtek 8111C
>
> Presently I am using onboard graphics, but till a few weeks ago I was
> using a PCIe Nvidia graphics card and the computer was still freezing
> the same way.

Have you tried a different power supply yet? Launching an app like FF puts
simultaneous load on the CPU, memory, and hard disk(s). A marginal PSU can
can cause problems like you are seeing under these conditions if it can't
output the current required by the load. This is not uncommon.

Hardware is relatively easy, time wise, to test and eliminate as causes of
failure. Troubleshooting kernels and drivers can be much more time consuming.

If you have another known good PSU swap it in and see if that fixes the
problem. PSUs are the cheapest components in most PCs, and almost everyone
overlooks the importance of a quality PSU when building a machine. They just
take whatever comes with the case they order. Sometimes you get a lemon PSU
this way. Only way to know is to swap it out.

--
Stan