Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 AM
"H.S."

Default strange freezes or lock ups on memory intensive tasks

This is on an AMD 64 bit processor (AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor)
with Debian Unstable (32 bit kernel) installed. I have noticed that
when I am running a RAM intensive task, usually when browsing large
photo files in geeqie and sometimes when starting firefox or chromium,
the PC hangs or locks up or freezes. The only solution is to reboot the
computer.

I have ran a memtest on the memory some weeks ago and it passed. There
is nothing in the logs to show any problem. Kernel is
2.6.32-5-686-bigmem. I have tried unlocking two cores in the processor,
or just one core, or just using it with the default two cores. I have
also experimented with varying voltages to the RAM chips (based on the
manufacturer's recommendations). No luck.

Apart from asking the memory vendor to do an RMA to try a different
memory (while realizing that memtest passed!), can somebody suggest what
other options I should look for? I am not sure what test to try to
localize or narrow down the cause of these lock ups.

Thanks.

ever having been read.