Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default Why apt-get sets such packages as manually installed?

Hi,

When you don't know that you already have a given package, and that you
want to install it, apt-get tells you that you already have it, and sets
it to `manually installed.' Why does it set it to `manually installed'
like this? What's the interest? Most of the time, I don't know that I
have a given package, and copy/paste a long list of packages that is
needed for building something.

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Look on the sunny side of life.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

When you don't know that you already have a given package, and that you
want to install it, apt-get tells you that you already have it, and sets
it to `manually installed.' Why does it set it to `manually installed'
like this? What's the interest? Most of the time, I don't know that I
have a given package, and copy/paste a long list of packages that is
needed for building something.

If you asked for a package to be installed, it is reasonable to assume
that you want that package. If it is already installed, then naturally
there is no need to reinstall - but since you asked for it, it is
marked as manually installed - the same result you'd obtain if it was
not installed.

--
The future not being born, my friend, we will abstain from baptizing it.
-- George Meredith

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Archive: 20100705162111.14081bxm05byqco0@mail.kalinowski.co m.br">http://lists.debian.org/20100705162111.14081bxm05byqco0@mail.kalinowski.co m.br

Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Merciadri Luca

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On Seg, 05 Jul 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> When you don't know that you already have a given package, and that yo=
>> want to install it, apt-get tells you that you already have it, and se=
ts
>> it to `manually installed.' Why does it set it to `manually installed'=

>> like this? What's the interest? Most of the time, I don't know that I
>> have a given package, and copy/paste a long list of packages that is
>> needed for building something.
>
> If you asked for a package to be installed, it is reasonable to assume
> that you want that package. If it is already installed, then naturally
> there is no need to reinstall - but since you asked for it, it is
> marked as manually installed - the same result you'd obtain if it was
> not installed.

--=20
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Merciadri Luca

Sorry, Enigmail bug.

And is there a way to prevent it from behaving like this?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Effort is important, but knowing where to make an effort makes all the
difference!