Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Wolodja Wentland

Default Scim and iceweasel

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 17:21 +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> My question, how can I make iceweasel, OO and other packages like
> inkscape to use scim as the default input method?

Yeah, I know that problem. Take a look at:

/usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz

which explains the whole situation in great detail. In particular the
sections "Autostart SCIM" and "Helper packages" are relevant.

Good luck

Wolodja
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :

Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 02:11:25PM +0200, Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> /usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz
>
> which explains the whole situation in great detail. In particular the
> sections "Autostart SCIM" and "Helper packages" are relevant.

Thanks for the reply. In fact, scim was getting started as could be seen
from ~/.xsession-errors. The problem was I had to choose manually the
input method in gnome-terminal and no way of doing it in iceweasel et
al.

I noticed that I had chosen scim as the input method using im-switch.
The scim method sets GTK_IM_MODULE=xim whereas scim-immodule sets the
same to scim! Changing that made gnome-terminal, iceweasel, inkscape to
use scim as their input method. I still cannot get it to work under OO.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

Mathematics is the only science where one never knows what
one is talking about nor whether what is said is true.
-- Russell

Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
"H.S."

On 05/07/10 07:51 AM, Sridhar M.A. wrote:

> My question, how can I make iceweasel, OO and other packages like
> inkscape to use scim as the default input method?

This is on Debian Testing, Intel 32 bit processor. I can use scim on my
KDE desktop without any problems ... almost. The only hiccup is that its
applet does not start when I log in. This gives an option of switching
to my last changed keyboard using CTRL+SPC only (since I cannot click on
an applet to select a different layout). I have to kill its gtk instance
which forces some auto restart in scim and the kde applet appears.

Example, right now I have the following processes. I do not have the
scim applet, but I can switch to the alternate layout using CTRL+SPC.
$> ps uax | grep scim
hs 2214 0.0 0.1 9964 1772 ? Ss Jul01 0:02
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/scim-launcher -d -c simple -e all -f socket --no-stay
hs 2218 0.0 0.0 6208 404 ? Ss Jul01 0:00
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/scim-helper-manager
hs 2219 0.0 0.4 28844 5976 ? Ssl Jul01 1:15
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/scim-panel-gtk --display :0.0 -c socket -d --no-stay
hs 2221 0.0 0.0 9180 540 ? Ss Jul01 0:00
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/scim-launcher -d -c socket -e socket -f x11
hs 17527 0.0 0.0 3860 776 pts/6 S+ 10:30 0:00 grep scim

Terminating gtk instance prompts the scim to give me its applet in KDE's
panel:
$> kill -TERM 2219

Now I can select whichever layout I want from the applet.

Now, all that is well and good, but I am no sure why gtk related
instance starts. So I poked around /etc files and found this:
$> cat /etc/scim/global
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8
/DefaultPanelProgram = scim-panel-gtk
/DefaultConfigModule = simple
/DefaultSocketFrontEndAddress = local:/tmp/scim-socket-frontend
/DefaultSocketIMEngineAddress = local:/tmp/scim-socket-frontend
/DefaultSocketConfigAddress = local:/tmp/scim-socket-frontend
/DefaultPanelSocketAddress = local:/tmp/scim-panel-socket
/DefaultHelperManagerSocketAddress = local:/tmp/scim-helper-manager-socket
/DefaultSocketTimeout = 5000

Perhaps the default panel program is the responsible for it. I wonder
how to make it so that gtk related scim starts in Gnome but kde related
in KDE only.

Another thing that might matter is the following file:
$> cat ~/.scim/global
/DefaultKeyboardLayout = kconfig
/DisabledIMEngineFactories = IMEngine-M17N-am-sera, .... <and so on: all
the disabled layout in my scim applet>
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,fr_FR.UTF-8

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 15:37:04 H.S. wrote:
> The only hiccup is that its
> applet does not start when I log in. This gives an option of switching
> to my last changed keyboard using CTRL+SPC only

I have it working, so far as I can see, perfectly on Lenny, applet and all,
Oowriter and all. Tho' I prefer ctrl+space as an access method. But I have
it working in Japanese.

I could dig out my "notes" if that would be any help. (I set it up a while
ago.)

Lisi

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
"H.S."

On 06/07/10 12:23 PM, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2010 15:37:04 H.S. wrote:
>> The only hiccup is that its
>> applet does not start when I log in. This gives an option of switching
>> to my last changed keyboard using CTRL+SPC only
>
> I have it working, so far as I can see, perfectly on Lenny, applet and all,
> Oowriter and all. Tho' I prefer ctrl+space as an access method. But I have
> it working in Japanese.
>
> I could dig out my "notes" if that would be any help. (I set it up a while
> ago.)

With the config I posted in my message, do you see anything obviously
wrong there as compared to what you have? If yes, then perhaps your
notes will help. As I mentioned earlier, the only thing I would like to
have is make the relevant applet start depending on which desktop I log
in. Other than this little problem, scim works quite well. That is why I
posted the information, hoping that it would help the OP in some way.

ever having been read.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 22:33:03 H.S. wrote:
> On 06/07/10 12:23 PM, Lisi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 July 2010 15:37:04 H.S. wrote:
> >> The only hiccup is that its
> >> applet does not start when I log in. This gives an option of switching
> >> to my last changed keyboard using CTRL+SPC only
> >
> > I have it working, so far as I can see, perfectly on Lenny, applet and
> > all, Oowriter and all. Tho' I prefer ctrl+space as an access method.
> > But I have it working in Japanese.
> >
> > I could dig out my "notes" if that would be any help. (I set it up a
> > while ago.)
>
> With the config I posted in my message, do you see anything obviously
> wrong there as compared to what you have? If yes, then perhaps your
> notes will help. As I mentioned earlier, the only thing I would like to
> have is make the relevant applet start depending on which desktop I log
> in. Other than this little problem, scim works quite well. That is why I
> posted the information, hoping that it would help the OP in some way.

As I said, I shall have to dig it out. I'll do so and try to see what is
different, but it was really the not working in OOo that struck me as
potentially inconvenient. As I said, I use the keyboard from preference. My
Japanese is only just the right side of non-existent, so I tend to switch
from kana/kanji to roman script to kana/kanji while typing.

I may not have time to do this tomorrow - and must get myself to bed now
before I fall asleep at the keyboard. :-( But I'll do it in the
foreseeable future.

Lisi

Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
"H.S."

On 06/07/10 05:53 PM, Lisi wrote:

> I may not have time to do this tomorrow - and must get myself to bed now
> before I fall asleep at the keyboard. :-( But I'll do it in the
> foreseeable future.

Okay, thanks. There is no hurry though, so take it easy.

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
"H.S."

On 06/07/10 05:53 PM, Lisi wrote:

> I may not have time to do this tomorrow - and must get myself to bed now
> before I fall asleep at the keyboard. :-( But I'll do it in the
> foreseeable future.
>
> Lisi

I just reinstalled my system (replace a faulty hard disk). Regarding
scim, I installed these:
dpkg -l '*s[ck]im*' | grep ^i
ii libscim8c2a 1.4.9-2
library for SCIM platform
ii libskim0 1.4.5-4.1
skim runtime library
ii scim 1.4.9-2
smart common input method platform
ii scim-bridge-agent 0.4.16-2
IME server of scim-bridge communicate with S
ii scim-bridge-client-gtk 0.4.16-2
IME server of scim-bridge communicate with S
ii scim-gtk2-immodule 1.4.9-2
GTK+2 input method module with SCIM as backe
ii scim-m17n 0.2.3-1
M17N Input Method Engine for SCIM
ii scim-modules-socket 1.4.9-2
socket modules for SCIM platform
ii skim 1.4.5-4.1
smart common input method platform for KDE

Now I have the skim applet on my KDE panel but I am not able to switch
the languages. I have done no other modifications in any files though. I
was hoping that using scim (in KDE, using skim?) would be quite
straightforward. Could you show some insights on how to get it to work
in KDE, hopefully without having to edit any text files?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 AM
"H.S."

On 12/07/10 01:50 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 06/07/10 05:53 PM, Lisi wrote:
>>
>> I may not have time to do this tomorrow - and must get myself to bed now
>> before I fall asleep at the keyboard. :-( But I'll do it in the
>> foreseeable future.
>>
>> Lisi
>
> I just reinstalled my system (replace a faulty hard disk). Regarding
> scim, I installed these:
> dpkg -l '*s[ck]im*' | grep ^i
> ii libscim8c2a 1.4.9-2
> library for SCIM platform
> ii libskim0 1.4.5-4.1
> skim runtime library
> ii scim 1.4.9-2
> smart common input method platform
> ii scim-bridge-agent 0.4.16-2
> IME server of scim-bridge communicate with S
> ii scim-bridge-client-gtk 0.4.16-2
> IME server of scim-bridge communicate with S
> ii scim-gtk2-immodule 1.4.9-2
> GTK+2 input method module with SCIM as backe
> ii scim-m17n 0.2.3-1
> M17N Input Method Engine for SCIM
> ii scim-modules-socket 1.4.9-2
> socket modules for SCIM platform
> ii skim 1.4.5-4.1
> smart common input method platform for KDE
>

> Now I have the skim applet on my KDE panel but I am not able to switch
> the languages. I have done no other modifications in any files though. I
> was hoping that using scim (in KDE, using skim?) would be quite
> straightforward. Could you show some insights on how to get it to work
> in KDE, hopefully without having to edit any text files?

On a newly installed amd64 Testing system, it was quite simple to get
scim working in KDE.

STEP 1:
I installed the following packages: scim, scim-tables,
scim-tables-additional (other tables may need to be intalled depending
on what layout one requires), followed by the corresponding ttf fonts.

If I started scim now (using "scim -d" command), I could get the gray
keyboard icon on the KDE panel but no choice of input by left clicking
on it.

STEP 2:
Next, based on
http://lorenzod8n.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/setting-up-scim-on-debian/, I
put these lines in my ~/.bashrc:
#for scim
export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

Then I killed all the currently running scim process (list them by "ps
aux | grep scim" and kill them all).

Then I sourced the .bashrc file (to set the variables; you could also
just relogin) from a terminal and restarted scim (from the same
terminal) using:
$> scim -d

After a few seconds the gray keyboard icon appeared on my KDE panel and
I was able to get a list of input methods by left-clicking on it.

The surprising thing was that installing skim froze my logging in to
KDE. After entering my password on the log in screen, the desktop never
appeared, the login process appears to hang. I remove skim after that
and was able to log in to KDE in the normal manner.

In short, installing and running scim on Debian is just a matter
installed scim, the relevant tables, the relevant fonts, and setting the
three variables in ~/.bashrc and restarting scim in daemon mode.

ever having been read.