Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Paul Chany

Default USB connection to Cablemodem, cdc_ether, resolvconf?

Hi,

I have connected my Debian GNU/Linux Lenny through USB to my
Cablemodem. My kernel is linux-image-2.6.26-1-686.

I'm trying to setup my eth0 network interface. It should have a static
and public IP address.

I have setup eth0 network interface as static in interfaces file:
[snip..]
auto lo eth0
iface lo inte loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 217.17.111.164
netmask 255.255.255.0
[..snip]

I have loaded kernel modules for USB-Ethernet card:
lsmod gives me the following:
[snip..]
cdc_ether 4672 0
usbnet 14024 1 cdc_ether
[..snip]

I run resolvconf to setup nameservers:
# cat file_with_nameservers | resolvconf -a eth0

so after this command abowe I get the file:
/etc/resolvconf/run/interface/eth0

with nameservers.

Still I can't reach the Internet:
ping www.google.com

However after a reboot this file:
/etc/resolvconf/run/interface/eth0
missing.

What am I missing here?
How can I setup Nameservers?

Any advices will be appreciated!

Paul Chany
You can freely correct my English.
http://csanyi-pal.info

Old 07-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 05 iul 10, 13:07:51, Paul Chany wrote:

> I have loaded kernel modules for USB-Ethernet card:
> lsmod gives me the following:
> [snip..]
> cdc_ether 4672 0
> usbnet 14024 1 cdc_ether
> [..snip]
>
> I run resolvconf to setup nameservers:
> # cat file_with_nameservers | resolvconf -a eth0
>
> so after this command abowe I get the file:
> /etc/resolvconf/run/interface/eth0
>
> with nameservers.

resolvconf is not meant to be used "by hand", you have to add

nameservers 8.8.8.8

or whatever to /etc/network/interfaces
Note: "nameservers" (ending with s) is not a typo, because you can
specify several nameservers (three?) separated by spaces

> Still I can't reach the Internet:
> ping www.google.com

Can you ping outside addresses (for example the nameserver itself) by
IP?

Please also show the output of 'ifconfig -a' after loading the modules
above.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Paul Chany

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Lu, 05 iul 10, 13:07:51, Paul Chany wrote:
>>
>> I have loaded kernel modules for USB-Ethernet card:
>> lsmod gives me the following:
>> [snip..]
>> cdc_ether 4672 0
>> usbnet 14024 1 cdc_ether
>> [..snip]
>>
>> I run resolvconf to setup nameservers:
>> # cat file_with_nameservers | resolvconf -a eth0
>>
>> so after this command abowe I get the file:
>> /etc/resolvconf/run/interface/eth0
>>
>> with nameservers.
>
> resolvconf is not meant to be used "by hand", you have to add
>
> nameservers 8.8.8.8
>
> or whatever to /etc/network/interfaces
> Note: "nameservers" (ending with s) is not a typo, because you can
> specify several nameservers (three?) separated by spaces

Aha, so here goes nameservers definitions on Debian Lenny?
I remember on Debian Etch I used for this /etc/resolv.conf file.

So the form is:
nameservers 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.4 ??

>> Still I can't reach the Internet:
>> ping www.google.com
>
> Can you ping outside addresses (for example the nameserver itself) by
> IP?

No.

> Please also show the output of 'ifconfig -a' after loading the modules
> above.

I can't to paste here the exact ouput of 'ifconfig -a' command but have
the following interfaces: lo, eth0 & eth1. I use another PC Box to mail
here for help.

So I find the cause of my problem, I think! eth1 is the usb-ethernet
device and not eth0. eth0 is there because I used it when I installed on
this PC Box the present Debian Lenny system, but through an Ethernet
card. But now I want to configure this Box through USB port of a Cable
modem, so that's why is there the eth1 interface.

So, when I give today morning the MAC address to my ISP, I give the
Ethernet card MAC address, instead of the USB-Ethernet aka eth1 MAC
address to associate it with my new static, public IP address!

I will correct this soon as possyble (here was a storm and my ISP is
busy now .

Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 05 iul 10, 19:59:15, Paul Chany wrote:

> Aha, so here goes nameservers definitions on Debian Lenny?
> I remember on Debian Etch I used for this /etc/resolv.conf file.

Only if you use (a.k.a. install) the resolvconf package. You can still
use /etc/resolv.conf, if you uninstall resolvconf and you are 100% sure
no other program is touching it (pppd, dhcp clients, ...).

Using resolvconf makes more sense to me even for static configs, since
you configure everything about the network in only one file
(/etc/network/interfaces).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Lisi

On Monday 05 July 2010 18:59:15 Paul Chany wrote:
> Paul Chany
> You can freely correct my English.

The last Hungarian to say that to me - my father - took extreme umbrage if I
actually did so!!

Lisi