Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default USB peripherals are plugged in across time: how are /dev/ttyUSBx assignations done?

Hi,

Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
/dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Celejar

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:06:51 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
> ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
> /dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
> plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.

Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
system.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that the system will assign an available
address, generally independent of the port, unless you have a udev rule
telling it otherwise.

Celejar

Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 04 iul 10, 14:06:51, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
> ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
> /dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
> plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.

I don't have so much experience with that kind of hardware, but AFAIU
you just can't rely on any particular order. Try using /dev/*/by-id/
instead.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Merciadri Luca

Because if I can know it by theory, it avoids me `practice.'

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The exception proves the rule.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Merciadri Luca

Celejar wrote:
> Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
> won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
> which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
> system.

And which addresses would they get, if they were not using /dev/ttyUSBx?
> In any event, I'm pretty sure that the system will assign an available
> address, generally independent of the port, unless you have a udev rule
> telling it otherwise.

Okay.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 04 July 2010 13:06:51 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
> ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
> /dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
> plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.

Managed to send my reply to Merciadri alone, again. Sorry, Merciadri. I have
to change the habit of years and press "l" (ell) instead of clicking
reply. :-(

My reply was:

Why not just suck it and see?

Lisi

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:17:11 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
>> Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
>> won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
>> which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
>> system.
>>
> And which addresses would they get, if they were not using /dev/ttyUSBx?

Block devices (external DVD players or hard disks, USB flash, digital
still cameras, voice recorders and many, many devices...) do not create "/
dev/ttyUSBx" but get mounted under "/media" (that is, standard "/dev/sdx"
naming).

Modems (gsm/umts/dial-up) devices and printers do it that way (in fact,
anything that emulates the "serial" port).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:17:11 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Celejar wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
>>> won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
>>> which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
>>> system.
>>>

>> And which addresses would they get, if they were not using /dev/ttyUSBx?
>>

> Block devices (external DVD players or hard disks, USB flash, digital
> still cameras, voice recorders and many, many devices...) do not create "/
> dev/ttyUSBx" but get mounted under "/media" (that is, standard "/dev/sdx"
> naming).
>
> Modems (gsm/umts/dial-up) devices and printers do it that way (in fact,
> anything that emulates the "serial" port).

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I'm here speaking about
non-block devices (such as data probes, etc.). Are they automatically
recognized and set up as /dev/ttyUSBx?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Merciadri Luca

Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 04 July 2010 13:06:51 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's say that you progressively plug in USB peripherals in(to) USB
>> ports of one computer running Debian. How are the /dev/ttyUSB0,
>> /dev/ttyUSB1, etc., assignations achieved? Is /dev/ttyUSB0 the first
>> plugged device, or is it one in a specific port? Thanks.
>>

> Managed to send my reply to Merciadri alone, again. Sorry, Merciadri. I have
> to change the habit of years and press "l" (ell) instead of clicking
> reply. :-(
>
> My reply was:
>
> Why not just suck it and see?
No problem. I could do it, but I thought such behaviors were already
pre-defined by the kernel's implementation, weren't they?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:28:55 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Modems (gsm/umts/dial-up) devices and printers do it that way (in fact,
>> anything that emulates the "serial" port).
>>
> Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I'm here speaking about
> non-block devices (such as data probes, etc.). Are they automatically
> recognized and set up as /dev/ttyUSBx?

Being (or configured to be) a "serial" device, yes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón