Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Nathen

Default Network crashes under heavy load

For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf
benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has
something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
but I thought it best to ask here first.
Thanks.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 04 iul 10, 20:53:32, Nathen wrote:
> For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
> go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
> transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf
> benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
> button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
> board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has
> something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
> but I thought it best to ask here first.
> Thanks.

Anything interesting in the logs (/var/log/syslog)?

Do you have a different adapter (preferably different chipset) to test
with?

Are you sure it's not the switch (if you have any)?

You might also try to replace the cable(s), you never know.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Ron Johnson

For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf

How heavy is "heavy"?

benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has

Yeah, probably.

something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
but I thought it best to ask here first.

Intel NICs seem to be very popular on servers, and are very well
supported under Linux.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C310458.9030104@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C310458.9030104@cox.net

Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Jaime Di Cristina

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 08:53:32PM +0100, Nathen wrote:
> For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
> go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
> transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf
> benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
> button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
> board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has
> something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
> but I thought it best to ask here first.
> Thanks.

Hello:

Are you running the latest BIOS version? Check this thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=771174 . A poster there
said that network problems went away after updating the BIOS to
version 0210. Also there are some vague reports of network problems
in the newegg.com reviews for this board. One user says that the
problems can be solved by "manually compiling drivers from Realtek".

I hope that you can solve the problem and would appreciate if you
shared your results.

Jaime

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Nathen

Thanks for replying.
To answer your questions - I couldn't find anything unusual in the
logs, the first message around the time of the crash was the shutdown
message when I pressed the power button.
I have a PCI realtek card I could try with, I think it's a different
chipset so I'll try with that, no switch and a different cable when I
get home later.

Sorry, I should have been more specific - it usually happens after
copying tens of GB but it seems random because it survives more
sometimes. For example I was backing up a number of large files (about
40GB total) which caused a crash the first time I tried, halfway
through copying a file but everything copied fine after a reboot. Also
running iperf about ten times caused another crash but again this
seems variable.
An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
network bandwidth.

I hope that answers all your questions and I'll try updating BIOS,
drivers and run those tests when I get home.
Thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Alexander Samad

[snip]

> An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
> no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
> network bandwidth.

have you tried getting the realtek driver and compiling it, on some of
my earlier boards, the nic was loaded by an in line kernel module
but it didn't work properly.... I had to down load the realtek and compile it.

> I hope that answers all your questions and I'll try updating BIOS,
> drivers and run those tests when I get home.
> Thanks

[snip]

Old 07-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Nathen put forth on 7/5/2010 4:47 AM:

> An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
> no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
> network bandwidth.

Hint: a standard PCI 32bit/33MHz PCI bus can transfer 132MB/s, which is
slightly greater than the throughput of a single GigE NIC which is a little
over 100MB/s. If the NIC is the only device on that bus, then you have no
worries, and likewise if the bus is shared with a low bandwidth PCI device or two.

What motherboard is this again and which RAID card? Apologies if you already
posted it and I missed it.

--
Stan

Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Davide Mirtillo

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Alexander Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
>> no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
>> network bandwidth.
>
> have you tried getting the realtek driver and compiling it, on some of
> my earlier boards, the nic was loaded by an in line kernel module
> but it didn't work properly.... I had to down load the realtek and compile it.

I was experiencing weird issues with my NIC aswell, check if you have
the r8169 kernel module loaded, if so, that might be the cause of your
crashes.

Get the proper drivers for your NIC on the realtek website, compile
them against your kernel, run depmod, blacklist the old module, update
initramfs and you shouldn't have any more trouble.

--
Davide Mirtillo

Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Nathen

I posted this earlier but it's not appeared on the list for some reason:

Sorry about the delay I didn't have a chance to try anything yesterday.
Anyway I've just tried a direct connection, updating BIOS, compiling and
installing the latest drivers and it's still the same, if not worse - it
seems I can crash it with as little as two iperf runs now. I'm still
relatively inexperienced with Linux though so I might be doing something
wrong. I haven't managed to find that PCI card yet but I'll keep looking
or try to borrow one from a friend or something.

I'm using an Intel Atom D510MO board and no RAID.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Nathen put forth on 7/6/2010 12:56 PM:
> I posted this earlier but it's not appeared on the list for some reason:
>
> Sorry about the delay I didn't have a chance to try anything yesterday.
> Anyway I've just tried a direct connection, updating BIOS, compiling and
> installing the latest drivers and it's still the same, if not worse - it
> seems I can crash it with as little as two iperf runs now. I'm still
> relatively inexperienced with Linux though so I might be doing something
> wrong. I haven't managed to find that PCI card yet but I'll keep looking
> or try to borrow one from a friend or something.
>
> I'm using an Intel Atom D510MO board and no RAID.

~$30 + shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106122
(2nd one has short bracket for low profile cases, functionally identical)

I don't use anything but Intel NICs with Linux. I've had such great luck with
them and the cost is low enough there's no legitimate reason to even try
competing products. These cards simply work, and work well. Totally
compatible, totally reliable. Did I mention they're fast? They push wire
speed all day long if the rest of the system is up to the task.

--
Stan