Old 07-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Rob Owens

Default automatically removing commercials from recorded movies

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 04:34:43PM +0200, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what do you use to automatically remove commercials from movies
> recorded with a TV card? I know mythtv can do it, but I don't like
> mythtv.

Personally, I'd just use MythTV. But if you want to do it yourself,
avidemux has a "next black frame" button. I know that's one of the
methods MythTV uses to detect commercials. This might get you started.

And if avidemux has this feature, mplayer/mencoder probably has it too.

-Rob

Old 07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
lee

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:21:40AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 04:34:43PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what do you use to automatically remove commercials from movies
> > recorded with a TV card? I know mythtv can do it, but I don't like
> > mythtv.
> >
> Personally, I'd just use MythTV. But if you want to do it yourself,
> avidemux has a "next black frame" button. I know that's one of the
> methods MythTV uses to detect commercials. This might get you started.

The problem with avidemux is that it is unable to keep the sound
synchronized with the movie. So I'm using dvbcut which doesn't have
this problem. But it's tedious to cut out all the commercials manually

> And if avidemux has this feature, mplayer/mencoder probably has it too.

Hm, any idea how to make use of that? I couldn't find anything to that
in the manpage. It has even been impossible to create a channels.conf
for mplayer ...

Old 07-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 05:42:02PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:21:40AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 04:34:43PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > what do you use to automatically remove commercials from movies
> > > recorded with a TV card? I know mythtv can do it, but I don't like
> > > mythtv.
> > >
> > Personally, I'd just use MythTV. But if you want to do it yourself,
> > avidemux has a "next black frame" button. I know that's one of the
> > methods MythTV uses to detect commercials. This might get you started.
>
> The problem with avidemux is that it is unable to keep the sound
> synchronized with the movie. So I'm using dvbcut which doesn't have
> this problem. But it's tedious to cut out all the commercials manually

Yeah, I've had that trouble before.

MythTV runs a program called "mythcommflag". Maybe you could look up
the source or just get it to run standalone, without installing MythTV.

> > And if avidemux has this feature, mplayer/mencoder probably has it too.
>
> Hm, any idea how to make use of that? I couldn't find anything to that
> in the manpage. It has even been impossible to create a channels.conf
> for mplayer ...

This was just a guess, because I know avidemux is based on a lot of
mencoder code.

I just tried "mplayer -vf blackframe myfile" and it looks like it might
have output a list of frames that are black. I'm not 100% sure what I'm
looking at here, to be honest.

-Rob

Old 07-04-2010, 06:58 PM
lee

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 01:03:43PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> MythTV runs a program called "mythcommflag". Maybe you could look up
> the source or just get it to run standalone, without installing MythTV.

As far as I understood, it works by creating some sort of index,
giving something like frame numbers telling other components of mythtv
to skip commercials or to cut them out. I never managed to get mythtv
to actually cut out commercials and was only able to skip them during
viewing.

> I just tried "mplayer -vf blackframe myfile" and it looks like it might
> have output a list of frames that are black. I'm not 100% sure what I'm
> looking at here, to be honest.

blackframe[=amount:threshold]
Detect frames that are (almost) completely black. Can
be useful to detect chapter transitions or commercials.
Output lines consist of the frame number of the detected
frame, the percentage of blackness, the frame
type and the frame number of the last encountered
keyframe.

<amount>
Percentage of the pixels that have to be below
the threshold (default: 98).

<threshold>
Threshold below which a pixel value is
considered black (default: 32).

Hmmmm ... Could be useful, but it just plays the movie. The manpage of
mplayer is pretty much unreadable, so I couldn't figure out how to
only filter the file and have the frame numbers printed. And then,
when I have such numbers, what do I do with them other than entering
them into dvbcut?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 08:58:09PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 01:03:43PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > MythTV runs a program called "mythcommflag". Maybe you could look up
> > the source or just get it to run standalone, without installing MythTV.
>
> As far as I understood, it works by creating some sort of index,
> giving something like frame numbers telling other components of mythtv
> to skip commercials or to cut them out. I never managed to get mythtv
> to actually cut out commercials and was only able to skip them during
> viewing.

Look into nuvexport. It comes with MythTV. I've never gotten it to
work (but I didn't try all that hard), but it's supposed to be able to
export to the format of your choice and remove the commercials that have
been flagged by mythcommflag. Of course, this might require the myth
database, which is getting awfully close to a full-fledged MythTV
system.

> > I just tried "mplayer -vf blackframe myfile" and it looks like it might
> > have output a list of frames that are black. I'm not 100% sure what I'm
> > looking at here, to be honest.
>

> blackframe[=amount:threshold]
> Detect frames that are (almost) completely black. Can
> be useful to detect chapter transitions or commercials.
> Output lines consist of the frame number of the detected
> frame, the percentage of blackness, the frame
> type and the frame number of the last encountered
> keyframe.
>
> <amount>
> Percentage of the pixels that have to be below
> the threshold (default: 98).
>
> <threshold>
> Threshold below which a pixel value is
> considered black (default: 32).
>

> Hmmmm ... Could be useful, but it just plays the movie. The manpage of
> mplayer is pretty much unreadable, so I couldn't figure out how to
> only filter the file and have the frame numbers printed. And then,
> when I have such numbers, what do I do with them other than entering
> them into dvbcut?

I don't know. I was hoping you might!

-Rob