Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default Saving files of one folder in another partition, but without changing the path?

Hi,

Put simply, I have a program which saves data in a subdirectory of
/var/lib/. The problem is double:

1. I can't modify the path where data are saved;
2. I'm lacking free space in /var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/ because
it is on an isolated partition (say hda2).

However, I have free space in /home/merciadriluca/, but this is on
another partition (say hda1). How could I manage to save
/var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/* data at
/home/merciadriluca/another_folder/ so that the program notices nothing?
Symlink?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Getting something done is an accomplishment; getting something done
right is an achievement.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 23:33:04 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Put simply, I have a program which saves data in a subdirectory of
> /var/lib/. The problem is double:
>
> 1. I can't modify the path where data are saved; 2. I'm lacking free
> space in /var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/ because it is on an isolated
> partition (say hda2).
>
> However, I have free space in /home/merciadriluca/, but this is on
> another partition (say hda1). How could I manage to save
> /var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/* data at
> /home/merciadriluca/another_folder/ so that the program notices nothing?
> Symlink?

I'd say yes.

Something like:

***
mkdir /home/merciadriluca/destination_folder
ln -s /var/lib/linked_folder /home/merciadriluca/destination_folder
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Merciadri Luca

Thanks. That's what I was thinking about.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get.