Old 07-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Mark Fletcher

Default Logitech MX 5500 Keyboard + mouse problem since recent squeeze upgrade

I am running amd64 squeeze on an Intel Core i7 920-based machine with
8GB RAM. I built the machine about a year ago and have been running
squeeze on it since.

I use a Logitech ("Logicool") MX5500 wireless keyboard and mouse combo.

For about the last month or so I hadn't updated packages -- not for any
particular reason, just hadn't gotten around to it. The other day I did
-- and now my keyboard is not working.

The keyboard and mouse work fine in Windows (on another machine). The
keyboard also is working as the machine is switched on as I can use it
to select boot kernel in GRUB. It's once Debian starts booting that it
breaks.

This is exactly the same symptom I observed a few months ago when the
upgrade from udev 151-1 to 151-3 or something introduced a mod
to /lib/udev/rules.d/70-hid2hci.rules which was supposed to fix a udev
bug but broke a lot of people's keyboards in the process. I successfully
applied the manual fix for that at the time and have since allowed udev
to upgrade naturally with no subsequent problems.

So naturally, the first place I looked was udev. I note udev is now at
version 157, so I wondered if it was broken again. There don't seem to
be any bugs to this effect logged, so I thought I'd give udev from sid a
go since it doesn't seem to introduce any dependency problems.
Installing sid's udev (v158) did not fix it.

I have googled around for this and don't see anything newer than the
last flurry on this subject a few months ago as referenced above. It's
almost like no one else is having this problem... :-(

I noticed that the kernel has also been upgraded to 2.6.32-5-amd64, so I
rebooted and selected the old kernel (2.6.32-3-amd64) and that did not
help either.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Any advice? I am not sure
what other information I should provide that would help diagnose the
problem... Right now I am having to use this
easily-most-powerful-machine-in-my-network via ssh only from other
machines as I don't have a spare keyboard and mouse to switch to it.
Really want to get this machine fully back on its feet ASAP so any help
appreciated...

Thanks

Mark

Old 07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
"Jose G. López"

Mark Fletcher escribió:
> I am running amd64 squeeze on an Intel Core i7 920-based machine with
> 8GB RAM. I built the machine about a year ago and have been running
> squeeze on it since.
>
> I use a Logitech ("Logicool") MX5500 wireless keyboard and mouse combo.
>
> For about the last month or so I hadn't updated packages -- not for any
> particular reason, just hadn't gotten around to it. The other day I did
> -- and now my keyboard is not working.
>
> The keyboard and mouse work fine in Windows (on another machine). The
> keyboard also is working as the machine is switched on as I can use it
> to select boot kernel in GRUB. It's once Debian starts booting that it
> breaks.
>
> This is exactly the same symptom I observed a few months ago when the
> upgrade from udev 151-1 to 151-3 or something introduced a mod
> to /lib/udev/rules.d/70-hid2hci.rules which was supposed to fix a udev
> bug but broke a lot of people's keyboards in the process. I successfully
> applied the manual fix for that at the time and have since allowed udev
> to upgrade naturally with no subsequent problems.
>
> So naturally, the first place I looked was udev. I note udev is now at
> version 157, so I wondered if it was broken again. There don't seem to
> be any bugs to this effect logged, so I thought I'd give udev from sid a
> go since it doesn't seem to introduce any dependency problems.
> Installing sid's udev (v158) did not fix it.
>
> I have googled around for this and don't see anything newer than the
> last flurry on this subject a few months ago as referenced above. It's
> almost like no one else is having this problem... :-(
>
> I noticed that the kernel has also been upgraded to 2.6.32-5-amd64, so I
> rebooted and selected the old kernel (2.6.32-3-amd64) and that did not
> help either.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Any advice? I am not sure
> what other information I should provide that would help diagnose the
> problem... Right now I am having to use this
> easily-most-powerful-machine-in-my-network via ssh only from other
> machines as I don't have a spare keyboard and mouse to switch to it.
> Really want to get this machine fully back on its feet ASAP so any help
> appreciated...
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Hello Mark,

I have the same issue with same combo on my desktop computer. I had the
same problem a few months ago and it was repaired as you explained.
Sorry, I can't give you answers. I did a search and nothing helped.

I've read these bug reports but this time they didn't help:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/+bug/272352

Some help would be very appreciated

Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM
"Fletcher, Mark"

Apparently this is fixed in udev 160-1, which is recently come into
unstable. I am going to give that a try tonight and see if it makes any
difference. Will keep you posted.

Mark

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE PRIVILEGED. If this message was misdirected, BlackRock, Inc. and its subsidiaries, ("BlackRock") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not reflect the views and opinions of BlackRock, unless the author is authorized by BlackRock to express such views or opinions on its behalf. All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by BlackRock. Although BlackRock operates anti-virus programs, it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being passed.