Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Chris

Default monolingual Americans (was switching to console and zapping)

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:05:53 -0500

> On 07/03/2010 11:49 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:

... actually, we men also grunt. That counts as another language.
Then of course, there is Ebonics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonics

--
Best regards,

Chris
1AB5FEF8

Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 13:05:53 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 11:49 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> You forgot Hawaii!
>
> That's true. But then, I also didn't mention the Virgin Islands or,
> further away, Trinidad and Tobago. IOW, you've got to set practical
> limits somewhere.

True. But Hawaii is a _state_. And I used to _live_ there.
So the omission really stood out to me.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 03 July 2010 18:05:53 Ron Johnson wrote:
> But then, I also didn't mention the Virgin Islands or,
> further away, Trinidad and Tobago.

These are not in the USA. If we are looking world wide there are also:
England [it is, after all, called English ;-)], Wales, Scotland, Ireland,
large swathes of India, Australia, New Zealand, Barbados, Jamaica, South
Africa, parts of West Africa... etc.

It is the language of the Internet, Air Traffic control, Unix/Linux
commands.... and so on.

But I took Ron to be referring to American English, which narrows the field a
little.

Lisi

Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Nuno MagalhĂŁes

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 22:31, Lisi wrote:
> It is the language of the Internet

Mandarin is closing in.

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraĆ* html-a retpoƝto
/ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail