Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Paul Scott

Default vbox loop in aptitude

Debian sid:

There are several vbox packages available for update. When I choose any
one of those to update in aptitude I get what seems to be an unending
loop while aptitude attempts to resolve the dependencies.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Paul Scott

Archive: 4C2E7EA0.6080404@ultrasw.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C2E7EA0.6080404@ultrasw.com

Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 02 iul 10, 17:04:48, Paul Scott wrote:
> Debian sid:
>
> There are several vbox packages available for update. When I choose
> any one of those to update in aptitude I get what seems to be an
> unending loop while aptitude attempts to resolve the dependencies.

Please post the output of 'aptitude full-upgrade'

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Paul Scott

There are several vbox packages available for update. When I choose
any one of those to update in aptitude I get what seems to be an
unending loop while aptitude attempts to resolve the dependencies.

Please post the output of 'aptitude full-upgrade'

Several messages go by and are erased and then it never returns. (as if
is is in a loop)

I redirected the output to a file and the file contains:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Reading task descriptions...

after terminating with Ctrl-C

This happens on two machines both of which are updated frequently

Thanks,

Paul

Archive: 4C31865B.5050209@ultrasw.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C31865B.5050209@ultrasw.com

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 05 iul 10, 00:14:35, Paul Scott wrote:
> On 07/04/2010 02:00 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >On Vi, 02 iul 10, 17:04:48, Paul Scott wrote:
> >>Debian sid:
> >>
> >>There are several vbox packages available for update. When I choose
> >>any one of those to update in aptitude I get what seems to be an
> >>unending loop while aptitude attempts to resolve the dependencies.
> >
> >Please post the output of 'aptitude full-upgrade'
>
> Several messages go by and are erased and then it never returns.
> (as if is is in a loop)
>
> I redirected the output to a file and the file contains:
>
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> Reading extended state information...
> Initializing package states...
> Reading task descriptions...
>
> after terminating with Ctrl-C

This doesn't help Try running aptitude from command line in some
xterm with a big enough scroll buffer.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Paul Scott

There are several vbox packages available for update. When I choose
any one of those to update in aptitude I get what seems to be an
unending loop while aptitude attempts to resolve the dependencies.

Please post the output of 'aptitude full-upgrade'

Several messages go by and are erased and then it never returns.
(as if is is in a loop)

I redirected the output to a file and the file contains:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Reading task descriptions...

after terminating with Ctrl-C

This doesn't help Try running aptitude from command line in some
xterm with a big enough scroll buffer.

I did run it in an xterm. There is no more output.

I'm still guessing it's in a loop trying to find a solution to a
dependency problem. I have seen other dependency situations where there
is a definite pause while a solution is calculated. Neither of my
machines is super fast.

Thanks,

Paul