Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default Booting in `user-mode' and entering in `maintenance' says `Login incorrect' but this is actually `Incorrect password' that should be said, as `root' is the maintenance user

Hi,

Booting in `user-mode' (once chosen in the GRUB) and entering in
`maintenance' says `Login incorrect' but this is actually `Incorrect
password' that should be said, as `root' is the (default) maintenance
user. Or that could be understood if `login' were to be taken in some
larger extent (which is also one of its definition). Would you consider
this as a bug?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:34:25 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Booting in `user-mode' (once chosen in the GRUB) and entering in
> `maintenance' says `Login incorrect' but this is actually `Incorrect
> password' that should be said, as `root' is the (default) maintenance
> user. Or that could be understood if `login' were to be taken in some
> larger extent (which is also one of its definition). Would you consider
> this as a bug?

Well, it could be interpreted as "login incorrrect due to incorrect
password" :-)

The fact is that you are providing wrong credentials and there are only
two possibilities, either username or password. Username was not asked so
it only lasts the password.

If you consider this a bug (it could be), better report it as a
"whislist" bug.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Lorenzo Beretta

Booting in `user-mode' (once chosen in the GRUB) and entering in
`maintenance' says `Login incorrect' but this is actually `Incorrect
password' that should be said, as `root' is the (default) maintenance
user. Or that could be understood if `login' were to be taken in some
larger extent (which is also one of its definition). Would you consider
this as a bug?

Well, it could be interpreted as "login incorrrect due to incorrect
password" :-)

The fact is that you are providing wrong credentials and there are only
two possibilities, either username or password. Username was not asked so
it only lasts the password.

If you consider this a bug (it could be), better report it as a
"whislist" bug.

Greetings,

Methinks it's to make intrusions more difficult, that is, if it said
"user ok - wrong pw" an intruder would *know* the username is ok and
just focus on the password, while the way it is both username AND
password must be guessed.

This is probably a bit weird for the root user, but definitely not
incorrect imho.

Good luck with your p2

Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Merciadri Luca