Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
"H.S."

Default AM3 socket Asus M4A87TD EVO motherboard work flawlessly in Debian?

I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.

Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
properly in this.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Ron Johnson

I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.

Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
properly in this.

What chipset does it use?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C2E1D90.2000508@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C2E1D90.2000508@cox.net

Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Charles Kroeger

I have an M4A79XTD EVO..that's close. I'm using a Phenom II X4 I have Alsa
installed and use it 'flawlessly' with the Asus Xonar D1 PCI audio card and the
Alsa Mixer serves as the interface with the card. The module or driver or
firmware whatever it's called for the Xonar D1 comes with the Kernel.

--
CK

Deo Soli Debianae, Invicto, Seculari

Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 AM
"H.S."

On 02/07/10 01:10 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 11:45 AM, H.S. wrote:
>> I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
>> and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
>> etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.
>>
>> Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
>> For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
>> properly in this.
>>

> What chipset does it use?

Chipset is AMD 870 / SB850.

Sorry forgot to mention it earlier.

ever having been read.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Greg Madden

On Friday 02 July 2010 08:45:41 H.S. wrote:
> I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
> and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
> etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.
>
> Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
> For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
> properly in this.
>
> Thanks.

The gigabit ethernet might be an issue., not sure about that board , earlier
versions had the RealTek 8111/8168. Not supported in Lenny, or Squeeze.
Installed with a pci nic, compiled the driver from source from RealTeks site.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 AM
"H.S."

On 02/07/10 08:52 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 08:45:41 H.S. wrote:
>> I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
>> and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
>> etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.
>>
>> Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
>> For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
>> properly in this.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> The gigabit ethernet might be an issue., not sure about that board , earlier
> versions had the RealTek 8111/8168. Not supported in Lenny, or Squeeze.
> Installed with a pci nic, compiled the driver from source from RealTeks site.

This one has:

Chipset: AMD 870 / SB850

LAN: RTL8111E PCIe Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2

Audio: VT1818 High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC

Storage: SB850 Chipset. 6 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10
IEEE 1394: VIA® VT6308P controller supports 2 x 1394a port(s)

USB:
NEC® USB 3.0 controller:- 2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (blue; at back panel)
SB850 Chipset:- 12 x USB 2.0 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at
back panel)

ever having been read.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Ron Johnson

I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.

Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
properly in this.

Thanks.

The gigabit ethernet might be an issue., not sure about that board , earlier
versions had the RealTek 8111/8168. Not supported in Lenny, or Squeeze.
Installed with a pci nic, compiled the driver from source from RealTeks site.

An RTL8111C works fine on my Sid system running 2.6.32-3, so why
wouldn't it work in Squeeze?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C2F12C0.2010706@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C2F12C0.2010706@cox.net

Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 PM
"H.S."

On 03/07/10 06:36 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 07:52 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
>> On Friday 02 July 2010 08:45:41 H.S. wrote:
>>> I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
>>> and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
>>> etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.
>>>
>>> Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
>>> For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
>>> properly in this.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> The gigabit ethernet might be an issue., not sure about that board ,
>> earlier
>> versions had the RealTek 8111/8168. Not supported in Lenny, or Squeeze.
>> Installed with a pci nic, compiled the driver from source from
>> RealTeks site.
>>

> An RTL8111C works fine on my Sid system running 2.6.32-3, so why
> wouldn't it work in Squeeze?

Wonderful! That was my main concern. Thanks for confirming that it
works. BTW, the mobo says it has RTL8111E. Does that "E" matter much?

Next up is the audio:
Audio: VT1818 High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC

I am expecting that the new SATA ( 6 Gbps) and USB 3.0 won't be a problem.

ever having been read.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Ron Johnson

An RTL8111C works fine on my Sid system running 2.6.32-3, so why
wouldn't it work in Squeeze?

Wonderful! That was my main concern. Thanks for confirming that it
works. BTW, the mobo says it has RTL8111E. Does that "E" matter much?

You'd think not...

Next up is the audio:
Audio: VT1818 High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC

That I don't know. Google and grep are no help either.

I am expecting that the new SATA ( 6 Gbps) and USB 3.0 won't be a problem.

Ditto.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4C2F5707.4090307@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C2F5707.4090307@cox.net

Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 PM
"H.S."

On 03/07/10 11:28 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 09:52 AM, H.S. wrote:
>> On 03/07/10 06:36 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>

>> Next up is the audio:
>> Audio: VT1818 High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC
>>

> That I don't know. Google and grep are no help either.

>From google I have got a couple of links. One says the guy had problem
with the audio (that was in may of this year) and the other says that
the lan card had a problem with wake-on-lan stuff (which I am not going
to use), which was fixed by downloading the source from the
manufacturer's site and compiling the module. So I am assuming the SATA
and USB stuff was working fine.

>> I am expecting that the new SATA ( 6 Gbps) and USB 3.0 won't be a
>> problem.

ever having been read.