Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Merciadri Luca

Default Connecting to the exterior network is impossible `directly'

Hi,

For some PC at the university, I need Internet access, but this can't be
achieved directly. That is, I can habitually view web pages, but I first
need to introduce my credentials to the login webpage. Introducing these
credentials is mandatory to have full Internet access. How could I tell
other programs (i.e. scripts using the Internet, etc.) to use these
credentials (in some way)?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The heart has reasons that reason does not understand. (Jacques Bossuet)

Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 10:32:53 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> For some PC at the university, I need Internet access, but this can't be
> achieved directly. That is, I can habitually view web pages, but I first
> need to introduce my credentials to the login webpage. Introducing these
> credentials is mandatory to have full Internet access. How could I tell
> other programs (i.e. scripts using the Internet, etc.) to use these
> credentials (in some way)?

You mean a proxy?

For GUI apps, you will need to setup wide proxy settings under your DE
(GNOME?).

For command line utilities, such "wget", it should be already
contemplated by the program itself so there must an option to pass
credentials ("man program-to-use" for details) :-P.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Merciadri Luca

No. That's not at all a proxy. Once you power on the computer, and that
you want to use Internet, say by Firefox, you are directly redirected to
a webpage which asks you your university login & your university
password. Once you have entered this stuff, you are logged on the
network, and everything is okay. That's a little bit like ADSL where you
need to type credentials before using the Internet (at the opposite of
the cable).

:-(

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Michal

No. That's not at all a proxy. Once you power on the computer, and that
you want to use Internet, say by Firefox, you are directly redirected to
a webpage which asks you your university login& your university
password. Once you have entered this stuff, you are logged on the
network, and everything is okay. That's a little bit like ADSL where you
need to type credentials before using the Internet (at the opposite of
the cable).

:-(

Thanks.

...so you can only use a browser then? You can't use other applications?
This sounds like the sort of system they have a hotels and such
like...but there are ways to get around these...one way was even put in
a Linux magazine a few weeks ago. Have a search around

Archive: 4C2DB3C4.1070400@ionic.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C2DB3C4.1070400@ionic.co.uk

Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Merciadri Luca

But I have credentials! So that might be simple if I get a way to share
the credentials with other programs.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:47:17 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Michal wrote:
>> ...so you can only use a browser then? You can't use other
>> applications? This sounds like the sort of system they have a hotels
>> and such like...but there are ways to get around these...one way was
>> even put in a Linux magazine a few weeks ago. Have a search around
>>

> But I have credentials! So that might be simple if I get a way to share
> the credentials with other programs.

What is the exact problem you are facing with your current setup (what
can't you do now and what do you want to achieve)?

If you share the concrete problem people can provide you a concrete
solution :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Jordan Metzmeier

Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Merciadri Luca

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:17:28 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean a proxy?
>
> For GUI apps, you will need to setup wide proxy settings under your DE
> (GNOME?).
>
> For command line utilities, such "wget", it should be already
> contemplated by the program itself so there must an option to pass
> credentials ("man program-to-use" for details) :-P.

Just to clarify, many GUI apps can (must?) be internally configured for
proxy use (e.g., IW / FF), just like the CLI apps.

Celejar

Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:10:59 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Merciadri Luca wrote:

>>> What is the exact problem you are facing with your current setup (what
>>> can't you do now and what do you want to achieve)?
>>>
>>> If you share the concrete problem people can provide you a concrete
>>> solution :-)
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>

>> I think that Mr. Metzmeier has understood the problem; I'll investigate
>> using the name he gave. Thanks. :-)

Good!

Just put your findings here so we all benefit from it :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón