Old 07-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Chris

Default DebianLive

Greetings folks,

I have been playing a bit with creating live USB flash drives.
I'm not having much luck finding examples on how to create the live
flash drive with the ability to install it on the PC hard drive.

Here's my setup:

I have an older laptop with a failed CD reader in it so booting off CD
is pointless. I have successfully created a bootable DebianLive (via
the wiki) flash drive with Gnome. It's works really, really well! Now,
what I would like to do is have the option to install to my laptops
drive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

--
Best regards,

Chris
1AB5FEF8

Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Andrei Popescu

,----[ http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/ ]
| This is a collaborative wiki to gather information and to discuss
| technologies used to produce a complex framework to enable production of
| official Debian Live systems, that uses as much as possible official
| Debian packages and, for optional hard disk installation, the
| DebianInstaller.
`----

AFAIK Live Debian is not meant to be installed to harddisk, but can
contain the installer. If you like doing things by hand you can also
just debootstrap.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Alan Chandler

I have been playing a bit with creating live USB flash drives.
I'm not having much luck finding examples on how to create the live
flash drive with the ability to install it on the PC hard drive.

Here's my setup:

I have an older laptop with a failed CD reader in it so booting off CD
is pointless. I have successfully created a bootable DebianLive (via
the wiki) flash drive with Gnome. It's works really, really well! Now,
what I would like to do is have the option to install to my laptops
drive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest you make install USBs as described in section 4.3 of the
installation manual

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4C2DE466.8080604@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C2DE466.8080604@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 10:38:03 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> ,----[ http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/ ]
> | This is a collaborative wiki to gather information and to discuss
> | technologies used to produce a complex framework to enable production of
> | official Debian Live systems, that uses as much as possible official
> | Debian packages and, for optional hard disk installation, the
> | DebianInstaller.
> `----
>
> AFAIK Live Debian is not meant to be installed to harddisk, but can
> contain the installer. If you like doing things by hand you can also
> just debootstrap.

See here for details about various ways to install to HDD via
DebianLive:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/debian-installer.html

Celejar

Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM