Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default After installation, my P2 is still unable to launch Debian

Hi,

Some days ago, I told you about the fact that my Debian's installation
always stalled at 5%. I then re-downloaded another image, burnt it, and
the installation process went fine. (I installed from the CD1 of
`http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.5/i386/iso-cd/'.)

The PC then rebooted, and, after the login screen, nothing happens.
There's still a background (the default one), but no icon, no menu, no
shortcut working. The mouse can be moved, but nothing more. The only
working shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-F8, which gives a blinking `-', but nothing
more.

No warning or error is shown during the `loading' process (i.e. where
you see lot of stuff telling you that kernel `x' is loaded, that package
`y' is progressively being loaded, etc.).

Any idea?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The causes of events are always more important than the events
themselves. (Cicero)

Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 22:46:20 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

(...)

> The PC then rebooted, and, after the login screen, nothing happens.
> There's still a background (the default one), but no icon, no menu, no
> shortcut working. The mouse can be moved, but nothing more. The only
> working shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-F8, which gives a blinking `-', but nothing
> more.

(...)

Have you considered the computer may lack for system resources (such as
RAM or CPU)? Todays DE (GNOME and KDE) are memory hungry, so couldn't be
that your machine is very busy? :-?

- What are your PII specs (RAM and CPU)?
- Try to start the system without X (just console) and check how it
behaves
- Run "top" to watch for high processes consumption of RAM and CPU

If non-GUI environment runs just fine and you still need a DE, think
about switching into a lightweight GUI desktop.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 22:46:20 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
> (...)
>

>> The PC then rebooted, and, after the login screen, nothing happens.
>> There's still a background (the default one), but no icon, no menu, no
>> shortcut working. The mouse can be moved, but nothing more. The only
>> working shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-F8, which gives a blinking `-', but nothing
>> more.
>>

> (...)
>
> Have you considered the computer may lack for system resources (such as
> RAM or CPU)? Todays DE (GNOME and KDE) are memory hungry, so couldn't be
> that your machine is very busy? :-?
>
> - What are your PII specs (RAM and CPU)?

896 for RAM. For CPU, this is 350 Mhz, but it can do it!
> - Try to start the system without X (just console) and check how it
> behaves

It does nothing. Exactly the same.
> - Run "top" to watch for high processes consumption of RAM and CPU

I can't! I don't have any access to a suitable console!
> If non-GUI environment runs just fine and you still need a DE, think
> about switching into a lightweight GUI desktop.

It worked previously with another Debian Lenny, coupled with an older
kernel. No reason for it not to work anymore with a more recent one!

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

If you want a thing done right, do it yourself.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:53:10 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Have you considered the computer may lack for system resources (such as
>> RAM or CPU)? Todays DE (GNOME and KDE) are memory hungry, so couldn't
>> be that your machine is very busy? :-?
>>
>> - What are your PII specs (RAM and CPU)?
>>
> 896 for RAM. For CPU, this is 350 Mhz, but it can do it!

Are you sure? >:-)

RAM is okay but CPU is a bit slow, bus limited, non-multithread, single
core...

>> - Try to start the system without X (just console) and check how it
>> behaves
>>
> It does nothing. Exactly the same.

The same cannot be :-)

Without X you cannot reach the desktop, you should be at console and see
nothing more than a black screen and a "login:_" prompt.

>> - Run "top" to watch for high processes consumption of RAM and CPU
>>
> I can't! I don't have any access to a suitable console!

Then you are still with X loaded. Try to boot in "init 1" (single user
mode). I used to boot at "init 3" in openSUSE to get no X environment but
dunno how can this be done in Debian :-?

>> If non-GUI environment runs just fine and you still need a DE, think
>> about switching into a lightweight GUI desktop.
>>
> It worked previously with another Debian Lenny, coupled with an older
> kernel. No reason for it not to work anymore with a more recent one!

Ok, ok, calm down :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:53:10 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Camaleón wrote:
>>

>>> Have you considered the computer may lack for system resources (such as
>>> RAM or CPU)? Todays DE (GNOME and KDE) are memory hungry, so couldn't
>>> be that your machine is very busy? :-?
>>>
>>> - What are your PII specs (RAM and CPU)?
>>>

>> 896 for RAM. For CPU, this is 350 Mhz, but it can do it!
>>

> Are you sure? >:-)
>
> RAM is okay but CPU is a bit slow, bus limited, non-multithread, single
> core...

But it did it some months ago with the same Debian, but with an older
kernel! How could it be unable to do it now?
>>> - Try to start the system without X (just console) and check how it
>>> behaves
>>>

>> It does nothing. Exactly the same.
>>

> The same cannot be :-)
>
> Without X you cannot reach the desktop, you should be at console and see
> nothing more than a black screen and a "login:_" prompt.

Without X, I cannot reach the desktop, sure, but, anyway, I can't reach
the desktop. What I wanted to say that it is the same without desktop is
that, as, when the login prompt ends after having typed my credentials,
the only background which appears on my screen do not react to my calls
for having a console (i.e. Ctrl - Alt - Fx). But if you have another way
to launch without X, especially directly into console, please tell me.
I'll try it and test its effect.
>>> - Run "top" to watch for high processes consumption of RAM and CPU
>>>

>> I can't! I don't have any access to a suitable console!
>>

> Then you are still with X loaded. Try to boot in "init 1" (single user
> mode). I used to boot at "init 3" in openSUSE to get no X environment but
> dunno how can this be done in Debian :-?

I tried in single user mode. Then, I can use a console. In this console,
everything works, but this is still console. I then tried `startx' and I
encountered exactly the same problem: background with nothing more (but
I did not receive the splash login screen).
>>> If non-GUI environment runs just fine and you still need a DE, think
>>> about switching into a lightweight GUI desktop.
>>>

>> It worked previously with another Debian Lenny, coupled with an older
>> kernel. No reason for it not to work anymore with a more recent one!
>>

> Ok, ok, calm down :-)

A problem of Internet messaging is that, sometimes, messages are totally
misinterpreted. Here, I was not angry at all (actually, I'm not often
angry).

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Rob Owens

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:29:36PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:

> >> 896 for RAM. For CPU, this is 350 Mhz, but it can do it!
> >>

> > Are you sure? >:-)
> >
> > RAM is okay but CPU is a bit slow, bus limited, non-multithread, single
> > core...
> >
> But it did it some months ago with the same Debian, but with an older
> kernel! How could it be unable to do it now?
> >>>

> >> It does nothing. Exactly the same.
> >>

> > The same cannot be :-)
> >
> > Without X you cannot reach the desktop, you should be at console and see
> > nothing more than a black screen and a "login:_" prompt.
> >
> Without X, I cannot reach the desktop, sure, but, anyway, I can't reach
> the desktop. What I wanted to say that it is the same without desktop is
> that, as, when the login prompt ends after having typed my credentials,
> the only background which appears on my screen do not react to my calls
> for having a console (i.e. Ctrl - Alt - Fx). But if you have another way
> to launch without X, especially directly into console, please tell me.
> I'll try it and test its effect.
> >>>

> >> I can't! I don't have any access to a suitable console!
> >>

> > Then you are still with X loaded. Try to boot in "init 1" (single user
> > mode). I used to boot at "init 3" in openSUSE to get no X environment but
> > dunno how can this be done in Debian :-?
> >
> I tried in single user mode. Then, I can use a console. In this console,
> everything works, but this is still console. I then tried `startx' and I
> encountered exactly the same problem: background with nothing more (but
> I did not receive the splash login screen).

aptitude install sysv-rc-conf. Run this and you can turn off gdm. This
way you'll boot to a console even when not using single user mode.

For lightweight desktops / window managers, I recommend you try either
LXDE or Fluxbox. For Fluxbox, right-click on the desktop to bring up
the system menu. LXDE has a "start" button, like Windows or KDE. Both
are very lightweight.

-Rob

Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Merciadri Luca

Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 21:29:36 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>>> Ok, ok, calm down :-)
>>>

>> A problem of Internet messaging is that, sometimes, messages are totally
>> misinterpreted. Here, I was not angry at all (actually, I'm not often
>> angry).
>>

> "Calm down" does not, to me, suggest anger. It suggests a certain degree of
> panic or het-up-ness. And that you were certainly displaying. ;-)

Okay.
> You have established that the problem is with X not the whole system. Had you
> considered that your hardware drivers (video card and/or monitor) might have
> been removed from the kernel?

This is possible. But the computer is not that old. Why would they be
removed?
> Have you looked at your xorg.conf to see if there are any clues?

What kind of stuff would be considered as clues?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Merciadri Luca

Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:29:36PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> aptitude install sysv-rc-conf. Run this and you can turn off gdm. This
> way you'll boot to a console even when not using single user mode.
>
> For lightweight desktops / window managers, I recommend you try either
> LXDE or Fluxbox. For Fluxbox, right-click on the desktop to bring up
> the system menu. LXDE has a "start" button, like Windows or KDE. Both
> are very lightweight
Thanks; I'll try this.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:29:36 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> RAM is okay but CPU is a bit slow, bus limited, non-multithread, single
>> core...
>>
> But it did it some months ago with the same Debian, but with an older
> kernel! How could it be unable to do it now?

We still don't know where the problem is so I was just "guessing".

(...)

>> Then you are still with X loaded. Try to boot in "init 1" (single user
>> mode). I used to boot at "init 3" in openSUSE to get no X environment
>> but dunno how can this be done in Debian :-?
>>
> I tried in single user mode. Then, I can use a console. In this console,
> everything works, but this is still console. I then tried `startx' and I
> encountered exactly the same problem: background with nothing more (but
> I did not receive the splash login screen).

Console gives you the ability to gather data from logs and it also says
(or points that) the problem could be on the GUI environment or X server.

>> Ok, ok, calm down :-)
>>
> A problem of Internet messaging is that, sometimes, messages are totally
> misinterpreted. Here, I was not angry at all (actually, I'm not often
> angry).

Understood :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:29:36 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Camaleón wrote:
>>

>>> RAM is okay but CPU is a bit slow, bus limited, non-multithread, single
>>> core...
>>>

>> But it did it some months ago with the same Debian, but with an older
>> kernel! How could it be unable to do it now?
>>

> We still don't know where the problem is so I was just "guessing".
>
> (...)

:-)
>>> Then you are still with X loaded. Try to boot in "init 1" (single user
>>> mode). I used to boot at "init 3" in openSUSE to get no X environment
>>> but dunno how can this be done in Debian :-?
>>>

>> I tried in single user mode. Then, I can use a console. In this console,
>> everything works, but this is still console. I then tried `startx' and I
>> encountered exactly the same problem: background with nothing more (but
>> I did not receive the splash login screen).
>>

> Console gives you the ability to gather data from logs and it also says
> (or points that) the problem could be on the GUI environment or X server.

I know. But what do you think that I could try to -maybe- guess what (or
where) the problem is? It looks like clearly related to the X server,
but a cat of /var/log/messages gives nothing interesting. :-(

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Where there's a will, there's a way.