FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Burning a .iso on an USB key

On 07/01/2010 11:55 AM, Joe wrote:

On 01/07/10 16:39, Alan Chandler wrote:

On 01/07/10 16:12, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
capability, the USB key should be bootable.



You don't say "WHY" you want to burn an .iso file onto a usb stick.


Live running, mainly. I have a System Rescue installation on one, and
it's also useful to be able run something like Knoppix or Ubuntu to help
work out how to drive some piece of hardware. I have a recent Knoppix
DVD in my toolbox, along with other useful discs, but a USB key fits in
the pocket.

Hence most of the distributions with Live variants, such as Knoppix and
Ubuntu, offer advice and utilities on their websites for burning to USB.



In that case, the question should be: how do I convert a Live CD to
a Live USB Stick?


--
Seek truth from facts.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C2CE125.6090502@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C2CE125.6090502@cox.net
 
Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Burning a .iso on an USB key

On Jo, 01 iul 10, 17:55:05, Joe wrote:
>
> Hence most of the distributions with Live variants, such as Knoppix
> and Ubuntu, offer advice and utilities on their websites for burning
> to USB.

Debian as well
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 07-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Rob Owens
 
Default Burning a .iso on an USB key

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:12:13PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not sure,
> and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective BIOS
> capability, the USB key should be bootable.
>
Unetbootin (installs ISOs to USB, using a Windows program)
Pendrive Linux (instructions for installing most distros to USB)
Debian Live (premade images for both CD and USB)

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100703021636.GB15350@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100703021636.GB15350@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Chris
 
Default Burning a .iso on an USB key

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 22:16:36 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:12:13PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an USB key and I would like to know how I could `burn' a .iso
> > image on it. I remember some weird procedure using dd, but I'm not
> > sure, and I can't find the tutorial. Evidently, assuming respective
> > BIOS capability, the USB key should be bootable.
> >
> Unetbootin (installs ISOs to USB, using a Windows program)
> Pendrive Linux (instructions for installing most distros to USB)
> Debian Live (premade images for both CD and USB)
>
> -Rob
>
>

something like this:
dd if=debian-live-sid-i386-standard.img of=$USBDRV

* taken from http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

--
Best regards,

Chris
1AB5FEF8
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org