Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Martin Kraus

Default how to delay boot when waiting for usb disks?

Hi. I need to mount a usb disk during boot so that daemons writing to the disk
start. The problem is that usb-storage takes time to set up block devices and
it does this in the background so it depends on many factors if it makes it
before mountall.sh is called.
Is there some way this can be accomplished in debian without explicit sleep 20
in mountall.sh?

Also, is there some way to start daemons only after certain hardware becomes
available?

thanks
mk

Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Memnon Anon

You are on testing?

Martin Kraus <lists_mk@wujiman.net> writes:

> Hi. I need to mount a usb disk during boot so that daemons writing to the disk
> start. The problem is that usb-storage takes time to set up block devices and
> it does this in the background so it depends on many factors if it makes it
> before mountall.sh is called.
> Is there some way this can be accomplished in debian without explicit sleep 20
> in mountall.sh?

Google seems to suggest these solutions:

a) rootdelay=xx

http://stoilis.wordpress.com/tag/rootdelay/

He uses 35 seconds, most people seem to go for a smaller value like 10.

b) udev

http://blogs.nonado.net/diamond/2010/03/27/mounting-usb-drives-at-boot-using-udev-on-debian/

However, I did not test or use any of these, so ...

Memnon

Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Martin Kraus

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 08:23:39PM +0200, Memnon Anon wrote:
> You are on testing?
>
> Martin Kraus <lists_mk@wujiman.net> writes:
>
> > Hi. I need to mount a usb disk during boot so that daemons writing to the disk
> > start. The problem is that usb-storage takes time to set up block devices and
> > it does this in the background so it depends on many factors if it makes it
> > before mountall.sh is called.
> > Is there some way this can be accomplished in debian without explicit sleep 20
> > in mountall.sh?
>
> Google seems to suggest these solutions:
>
> a) rootdelay=xx

rootdelay is only for root, I need to wait for nonroot disk. it happens after
initramfs mounts root and activates init from the root fs.

> b) udev
>
> http://blogs.nonado.net/diamond/2010/03/27/mounting-usb-drives-at-boot-using-udev-on-debian/

So I guess Debian doesn't solve this in any system friendly way?

mk