Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Default Xen on Squeeze won't start

Hi,
We've been running Xen on Lenny for some time and it's worked great, but with a new server and some older Xen kernel issues around acpi we're trying the newer version on Squeeze.

So, I did a base install of Squeeze alpha 1, then�apt-get install xen-linux-system-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 xen-tools. �After adjusting the Grub 2 boot menu (installing the Xen kernel doesn't put it at the top of the boot menu, so by default Grub booted into the 'trunk' kernel) the server rebooted into the Xen kernel (uname -r gives�2.6.32-5-xen-amd64) and yet xend won't start! �Running xm create... I get "Error: Unable to connect to xend: No such file or directory. Is xend running?". �Trying to start via /etc/init.d I get nothing!

I've seen the close bug report (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=580500) where someone seems to have the same error as me, I also have "Booting paravirtualized kernel on bare hardware" in kern.log, and Bastian says it's user error, but doesn't explain how that's user error!?

Any insight is much�appreciated!
Thanks,Steve
--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Woodland Public Schools
360 225 9451 x326

Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Well just in case someone else hits this... once my colleague
suggested I look closer at what grub2 was doing, and after more time
on Google and experimenting I came up with this... the actual xen 3.4
hypervisor isn't being put into the grub2 boot list. It's not good
booting off the one that says ...-xen-... as that appears to be the
paravirtualised kernel, not the hypervisor. So, the following in
/etc/grub.d/40_custom

menuentry "Xen 3.4 / Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64" {
insmod raid
insmod mdraid
insmod ext2
set root='(md0)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c924a87f-1ff0-4483-8029-a0e67dcc434f
multiboot (md0)/boot/xen-3.4-amd64.gz dummy=dummy
module (md0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 dummy=dummy
root=UUID=c924a87f-1ff0-4483-8029-a0e67dcc434f nomodeset
module (md0)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
}

(change md0 for your boot devic and get your uuid out of /etc/fstab), set

GRUB_DEFAULT="Xen 3.4 / Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64"

in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and reboot. Finally a ps -e |
grep xen shows a bunch of xen processes!

Now to see how it actually performs...

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Mike Viau

> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 13:51:14 -0700
> Subject: Re: Xen on Squeeze won't start
> From: rippls@woodlandschools.org
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> CC: waldi@debian.org
>
> Well just in case someone else hits this... once my colleague
> suggested I look closer at what grub2 was doing, and after more time
> on Google and experimenting I came up with this... the actual xen 3.4
> hypervisor isn't being put into the grub2 boot list. It's not good
> booting off the one that says ...-xen-... as that appears to be the
> paravirtualised kernel, not the hypervisor. So, the following in
> /etc/grub.d/40_custom
>
> menuentry "Xen 3.4 / Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64" {
> insmod raid
> insmod mdraid
> insmod ext2
> set root='(md0)'
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c924a87f-1ff0-4483-8029-a0e67dcc434f
> multiboot (md0)/boot/xen-3.4-amd64.gz dummy=dummy
> module (md0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 dummy=dummy
> root=UUID=c924a87f-1ff0-4483-8029-a0e67dcc434f nomodeset
> module (md0)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> }
>
> (change md0 for your boot devic and get your uuid out of /etc/fstab), set
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT="Xen 3.4 / Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64"
>
> in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and reboot. Finally a ps -e |
> grep xen shows a bunch of xen processes!
>
> Now to see how it actually performs...
>

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Rippl, Steve
> <rippls@woodlandschools.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > We've been running Xen on Lenny for some time and it's worked great, but
> > with a new server and some older Xen kernel issues around acpi we're trying
> > the newer version on Squeeze.
> > So, I did a base install of Squeeze alpha 1, then*apt-get install
> > xen-linux-system-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 xen-tools. *After adjusting the Grub 2
> > boot menu (installing the Xen kernel doesn't put it at the top of the boot
> > menu, so by default Grub booted into the 'trunk' kernel) the server rebooted
> > into the Xen kernel (uname -r gives*2.6.32-5-xen-amd64) and yet xend won't
> > start! *Running xm create... I get "Error: Unable to connect to xend: No
> > such file or directory. Is xend running?". *Trying to start via /etc/init.d
> > I get nothing!
> > I've seen the close bug report
> > (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=580500) where someone
> > seems to have the same error as me, I also have "Booting paravirtualized
> > kernel on bare hardware" in kern.log, and Bastian says it's user error, but
> > doesn't explain how that's user error!?
> > Any insight is much*appreciated!
> > Thanks,
> > Steve
> > --

Does the attached script help? It is an executable grub2 shell script.

-M

Your Photo on Bing.ca: You Could WIN on Canada Day! Submit a Photo Now!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Jan Ingvoldstad

Well just in case someone else hits this... once my colleague

suggested I look closer at what grub2 was doing, and after more time

on Google and experimenting I came up with this... the actual xen 3.4

hypervisor isn't being put into the grub2 boot list. *It's not good

booting off the one that says ...-xen-... as that appears to be the

paravirtualised kernel, not the hypervisor. *So, the following in

/etc/grub.d/40_custom

The simpler way appears to be:
cd /etc/grub.d
mv 20_linux_xen 08_linux_xen
update-grub

A search for "xen" in the bugs for grub-common yields the following hit, which has been merged with other bugs:

However, in the yesterday's squeeze, the problem was still present; Xen dom0 does not get preference over the other installed kernels, which is a pretty big bummer.

Should I file a new bugreport for this?
--
Jan