Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Merciadri Luca

Default Connecting the droid to a Debian workstation

Hi,

To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on how to
do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
Desire.

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:01:13 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
> explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
> workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on how to
> do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
> at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
> Desire.

Look at the manual for your device, chapter "Connecting your phone to
your computer".

It seems you have to connect the device to an USB port and select "hard
drive" mode, or something similar. Then you should be able to use the
unit as a media device.

Briefly, connect the phone and type "dmesg" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Kent West

Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
> explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
> workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on how to
> do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
> at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
> Desire.

I just connect my G1 to the USB2 cable, and the G1 dings at me, and
there's a notification at the top of the G1's screen saying that it's
connected; pulling that notification open it tells me that to "click
here" to mount my drive. When I do that, then my Debian box starts
rattling, and in a few moments, KDE pops up a window asking what I want
to do with the new device, and I say "Open", and voila, there's the
drive's contents.

(The exact wording above may not be accurate, as I'm doing this from
memory rather than actually having the unit right here in front of me at
the moment, but that's the gist.)

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Merciadri Luca

Tue Jun 1 16:30:01 2010
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:00:47 +0200
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Aur�en_G�au? <aurelien.gateau@canonical.com>
To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Kapti, an experimentation on package installation/removal UI
Cc: Daniel Nicoletti <dantti85-pk@yahoo.com.br>
Sender: kubuntu-devel-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

Hi,

Since I have lots of free time , I played this weekend with an idea of
mine: a simple tool to install/remove packages.

The tool is named Kapti, this wiki page will let you learn more about it
and even install it:

http://gitorious.org/kapti/pages/Home

What makes it a bit different than other tools is that it's a web-like
UI: you click links to install/remove packages or view the detailed
information of a package.

This is quite handy because for example the detailed information
presents the suggests/recommends list as links, so you can easily learn
more about a suggested package, click its "Install" link, then click the
"Back" button to return to the previous package you were reading about.

I do not intend to develop this as a competitor to KPackageKit and I
already talked with Daniel Nicoletti, the KPackageKit maintainer (who is
CC to this mail), about this. I see Kapti as an experiment on the UI,
something which maybe could be integrated in KPackageKit later (but
there is nothing precise right now).

I am interested in your feedback, especially regarding the fact that it
behaves a bit like a web browser.

Aur�en

DISCLAIMER: I created Kapti in my (ever shrinking) free time, Canonical
is not involved in it.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Kent West

On 6/1/10 8:56 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:
>
> > Merciadri Luca wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> To my utter astonishment, I have not found, on the Internet, an
> >> explanation on how to connect an Android-based device to a Debian
> >> workstation (through USB2, evidently). Do you have any pointer on
> how to
> >> do this? By `connecting,' I do not necessarily mean `synchronizing' but
> >> at least being able to check the µSD's card content. I am using an HTC
> >> Desire.
> >>

> > I just connect my G1 to the USB2 cable, and the G1 dings at me, and
> > there's a notification at the top of the G1's screen saying that it's
> > connected; pulling that notification open it tells me that to "click
> > here" to mount my drive. When I do that, then my Debian box starts
> > rattling, and in a few moments, KDE pops up a window asking what I want
> > to do with the new device, and I say "Open", and voila, there's the
> > drive's contents.
>
> > (The exact wording above may not be accurate, as I'm doing this from
> > memory rather than actually having the unit right here in front of me at
> > the moment, but that's the gist.)
> Well, after quibbling with the android device, this does the same
> too. Do you also have a sync utility?

No. I just manually copy files as I need them from here to yon and
vice-versa. Some stuff doesn't work; like, I can't save my text messages
easily.

--
Kent

Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 08:56:52 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> And is there some HTC Sync program?

HTC Sync is their proprietary MS Windows application. I don't think there is
an equivalent for Linux, but I've not done any research on what line protocol
it speaks.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Erwan David

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 June 2010 08:56:52 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> And is there some HTC Sync program?
>
> HTC Sync is their proprietary MS Windows application. I don't think there is
> an equivalent for Linux, but I've not done any research on what line protocol
> it speaks.

Yes, the device may be linux based, but if we cannot interact with it
without a propriétary OS, it's just anotehr proprietary device...

--
Erwan

Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Mark

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 June 2010 08:56:52 Merciadri Luca wrote:

>> And is there some HTC Sync program?

> HTC Sync is their proprietary MS Windows application. *I don't think there is

> an equivalent for Linux, but I've not done any research on what line protocol

> it speaks.

Yes, the device may be linux based, but if we cannot interact with it

without a propriétary OS, it's just anotehr proprietary device...

I read on a Linux forum a while back about "synce" but don't know if it would work in your case.* Here's a link: http://www.synce.org/moin/

Also, curious if this means anything (link): HTC article

Mark