Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Merciadri Luca

Default Numeric panel on keyboard is no longer recognized

Hello,

Since I played accidently with `Hot keys' or something like that (I do
not remember exactly their name, but the fact is that I pushed the `maj'
key four times and that it launched something related to keys and
GNOME), my numeric panel on my keyboard is no longer recognized. Why?

Alternatively, some programs now render what I type just as if I was in
QWERTY mode, but I am in AZERTY mode (.xorg.conf and GNOME's keyboard
utility tell it to me). What can I do? This is really annoying.

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:25:31 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Since I played accidently with `Hot keys' or something like that (I do
> not remember exactly their name, but the fact is that I pushed the `maj'
> key four times and that it launched something related to keys and
> GNOME), my numeric panel on my keyboard is no longer recognized. Why?

Mmm... I suppose you already care about the "num. lock" switch/button is
"on", right? :-)

> Alternatively, some programs now render what I type just as if I was in
> QWERTY mode, but I am in AZERTY mode (.xorg.conf and GNOME's keyboard
> utility tell it to me). What can I do? This is really annoying.

Dive into GNOME keyboard settings (keyboard layout, language, model and
options) and if necessary, setup them again. Then, relogin, just in case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:25:31 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Since I played accidently with `Hot keys' or something like that (I do
>> not remember exactly their name, but the fact is that I pushed the `maj'
>> key four times and that it launched something related to keys and
>> GNOME), my numeric panel on my keyboard is no longer recognized. Why?
>
> Mmm... I suppose you already care about the "num. lock" switch/button is
> "on", right? :-)
Yes, sure.

>> Alternatively, some programs now render what I type just as if I was in
>> QWERTY mode, but I am in AZERTY mode (.xorg.conf and GNOME's keyboard
>> utility tell it to me). What can I do? This is really annoying.
>
> Dive into GNOME keyboard settings (keyboard layout, language, model and
> options) and if necessary, setup them again. Then, relogin, just in
> case.
Actually (I should have specified it before), nothing changes it. This
is really really weird. Well, let's explain it a bit more: if I go to
System > Preferences > Keyboard, and then tick Belgium, the zone where
you can try your keyboard writes what I type as if I was in AZERTY
mode. 'Looks nice, as it is what I want. But when I leave (using
`Close') this window, some apps are in QWERTY, and others are in
AZERTY. For example, I might even start FF (Iceweasel, more
precisely), type an URL in AZERTY, and then, trying to select some
text on a webpage using Ctrl-A, Iceweasel will close, because A is Z
in QWERTY. So, it changed after some seconds. Moreover, when my
password screen comes, after some screensaver, I can type my password
(just as before), but it is written `Belz' at the place of `Bel'. I
don't know what is `Belz' but it looks like some special QWERTY config
for Belgium, as I then need to type Alt Gr + some number on the
keyboard to write down a keyboard, when it was written normally if I
was using the numeric panel, or simply Maj + these numbers.

Sometimes, everything then comes in AZERTY (even the password's window
after the screensaver), but sometimes not. Also, sometimes, the config
windows (Sys > Pref > Keyboard, as aforementioned) lets me type
characters as if I was in QWERTY, even if Belgium is well-selected
(ticked). I am not using some prog called `ScKey', `ScPlus' or whatever I do not
remember whose name, which was aiming at using different character
layouts (cyrillic, etc.) on this computer (I tested it with other
computers, though).

Everything seems to happen since I have pressed 4 or 5 times the MAJ
key, which then let GNOME ask me if I wanted to use soft keys. I do
not know soft keys are, but I do not need any accessibility facility,
because I have no handicap. It must have messed up with my settings,
in some way that I am still misunderstanding. Any idea? Hope I'm
clear. Thanks, though.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

You don't stop laughing because you grow old; you grow old because
you stop laughing. (Michael Pritchard)

Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 15:45:34 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> Mmm... I suppose you already care about the "num. lock" switch/button
>> is "on", right? :-)

> Yes, sure.

O.k. Let's hope this one is linked with the other porblem.

>> Dive into GNOME keyboard settings (keyboard layout, language, model and
>> options) and if necessary, setup them again. Then, relogin, just in
>> case.

(...)

> Everything seems to happen since I have pressed 4 or 5 times the MAJ
> key, which then let GNOME ask me if I wanted to use soft keys. I do not
> know soft keys are, but I do not need any accessibility facility,
> because I have no handicap. It must have messed up with my settings, in
> some way that I am still misunderstanding. Any idea? Hope I'm clear.
> Thanks, though.

"Soft keys"? I do not recall this :-?

But anything regarding assistive keyboard is configured/activated within
GNOME keyboard settings. Check in there *all the tabs* and see if
something has been enabled accidentally.

Also, run "gnome-at-properties" in gnome-terminal and see if something
was also enabled there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:22:44 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:

>> "Soft keys"? I do not recall this :-?
>>
>> But anything regarding assistive keyboard is configured/activated
>> within GNOME keyboard settings. Check in there *all the tabs* and see
>> if something has been enabled accidentally.
>>
>> Also, run "gnome-at-properties" in gnome-terminal and see if something
>> was also enabled there.

> Ok. So, what looks completely abnormal in `Keyboard Layout Options' is
> `Both Alt keys together change layout,' and `Right Alt is Compose.'

I copy/paste my keyboard setup options:

- Add euro symbol... none selected
- Caps lock behaviour... default
- Alt/windows behavior... default
- Japanese keyboard... none selected
- Layout switching... none selected
- Numeric keypad delete key... default
- Numeric keypad layout selection... default
- Miscelanuous compatibility options... none selected
- Compose key location... none selected
- Ctrl key location...default
- Third level selectors... none selected
- Use keyboard LED to show alternative... none selected
- Using space key to input... default

> What means the latter?

"Right Alt is Compose" means you can use "right alt" key to create
composed characters such "→" :-)

> Soft keys are disabled, and GNOME tells it to me.
> Well, it should be the `Both Alt keys together change layout,' but I
> never press twice some `Alt' key. Moreover, this won't give me back my
> numeric panel... Hopefully, I do not work in Finance!

You can create a new user account to compare the keyboard settings
(between the new user and the old/current one) because I am using a
Spanish keyboard and my preferences could be not suitable for you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:27:11 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I've found what my numeric panel's keys are now affected to. Everybody
> knowns that these keys can also be directional keys (i.e. like the <-,
> the |^, the |_, and the -> which are at its left). They are acting
> exactly like this. I am even able to move my cursor (i.e. small arrow)
> using these keys: I can move it downwards, upwards, in diagonal... Well,
> this is completely unuseful for me. This setting seems not to be set
> either in GNOME's settings or in GNOME's keyboard's settings. Then,
> where could it be (set)?

Pressing "Shift + Num. Lock" will solve this issue, I just found it :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:22:44 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Camaleón writes:
>
>>> "Soft keys"? I do not recall this :-?
>>>
>>> But anything regarding assistive keyboard is configured/activated
>>> within GNOME keyboard settings. Check in there *all the tabs* and see
>>> if something has been enabled accidentally.
>>>
>>> Also, run "gnome-at-properties" in gnome-terminal and see if something
>>> was also enabled there.
>
>> Ok. So, what looks completely abnormal in `Keyboard Layout Options' is
>> `Both Alt keys together change layout,' and `Right Alt is Compose.'
>
> I copy/paste my keyboard setup options:
>
> - Add euro symbol... none selected
> - Caps lock behaviour... default
> - Alt/windows behavior... default
> - Japanese keyboard... none selected
> - Layout switching... none selected
> - Numeric keypad delete key... default
> - Numeric keypad layout selection... default
> - Miscelanuous compatibility options... none selected
> - Compose key location... none selected
> - Ctrl key location...default
> - Third level selectors... none selected
> - Use keyboard LED to show alternative... none selected
> - Using space key to input... default
>
>> What means the latter?
>
> "Right Alt is Compose" means you can use "right alt" key to create
> composed characters such "→" :-)
>
>> Soft keys are disabled, and GNOME tells it to me.
>> Well, it should be the `Both Alt keys together change layout,' but I
>> never press twice some `Alt' key. Moreover, this won't give me back my
>> numeric panel... Hopefully, I do not work in Finance!
>
> You can create a new user account to compare the keyboard settings
> (between the new user and the old/current one) because I am using a
> Spanish keyboard and my preferences could be not suitable for you.
Thanks. For the tips, they are no longer required (see message
before). Thanks

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a
living at doing what they most enjoy. (Malcolm Forbes)