Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM

Default xdm autologin important for tiny devices

T> on my openmoko freerunner I modified /etc/pam.d/xdm by replacing
T>
T> @include common-auth
T>
T> with
T>
T> auth required pam_permit.so
T>
T> so that I only need to type the username of the user I want to
T> use. This is not as good as automated login after preconfigured
T> timeout but usable still. (Automatic login without timeout would not
T> be usable in my case since I really want to use different users.)

That is half the way to full automatic login!
Every day for the last 10 years I've had to type in username and
password. Can somebody tell me how to get some relief without having to
switch display managers, for heavens sake.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Roberto De Oliveira

> That is half the way to full automatic login!
> Every day for the last 10 years I've had to type in username and
> password. Can somebody tell me how to get some relief without having to
> switch display managers, for heavens sake.

Maybe, the problem is that _there is_ a display manager. If you are
the only user and you want autologin... Why to use a DM? You can make
a script with "su" and "startx" and use it like a system service.

--
Saludos,
Roberto De Oliveira

Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:58:36 -0430, Roberto De Oliveira wrote:

>> That is half the way to full automatic login! Every day for the last 10
>> years I've had to type in username and password. Can somebody tell me
>> how to get some relief without having to switch display managers, for
>> heavens sake.
>
> Maybe, the problem is that _there is_ a display manager. If you are the
> only user and you want autologin... Why to use a DM? You can make a
> script with "su" and "startx" and use it like a system service.

"Autologin" is a feature that is available in other DM (kdm/gdm) so
people miss having that option on another display managers.

BTW, I also use autologin in GNOME/gdm and still need a DM :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Jaime Di Cristina

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 02:34:00PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> T> on my openmoko freerunner I modified /etc/pam.d/xdm by replacing
> T>
> T> @include common-auth
> T>
> T> with
> T>
> T> auth required pam_permit.so
> T>
> T> so that I only need to type the username of the user I want to
> T> use. This is not as good as automated login after preconfigured
> T> timeout but usable still. (Automatic login without timeout would not
> T> be usable in my case since I really want to use different users.)
>
> That is half the way to full automatic login!
> Every day for the last 10 years I've had to type in username and
> password. Can somebody tell me how to get some relief without having to
> switch display managers, for heavens sake.

Hello:

For automatic login as the same user every time try nodm. From the man page:
"nodm is a minimal display manager that simply logs in as a given user and
starts an X session, without asking for username or password." I use it on a
mobile device with no problems. This package is not in Lenny but it is in
backports. Of course, this violates your requirement of not changing
DM, but xdm seems to have no such feature.

Take Care,
Jaime

Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 AM

JDC> For automatic login as the same user every time try nodm.
Works perfectly!
Ah, sure wish it was hinted to on the xdm man page!