Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM
"Nathan Martin"

Default GUI fails to start

Help!

After the setup process for Lenny, the system reboots to
start the new installation but the GUI does not come up. The screen remains
blank. I checked the option for “Desktop” in the set up process. Everything
seems to go smoothly until the GUI should come up. I am starting from a “net-install”
CD I downloaded and burned. Am I doing something wrong or is it my disk copy?

*

Thank
you,

Nathan
B Martin

Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 02:04:24PM -0500, Nathan Martin wrote:
> Help!
>
> After the setup process for Lenny, the system reboots to start the new
> installation but the GUI does not come up. The screen remains blank. I
> checked the option for "Desktop" in the set up process. Everything seems to
> go smoothly until the GUI should come up. I am starting from a "net-install"
> CD I downloaded and burned. Am I doing something wrong or is it my disk
> copy?

most likely, it's an issue with the X system not properly starting
the gui session. Try switching over to a virtual terminal (via
Ctrl-Alt-F1) and logging into the command line. You can then debug
from there.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Neal Hogan

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Nathan Martin <nbrentm@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Help!
>
> After the setup process for Lenny, the system reboots to start the new
> installation but the GUI does not come up. The screen remains blank. I
> checked the option for “Desktop” in the set up process. Everything seems to
> go smoothly until the GUI should come up. I am starting from a “net-install”
> CD I downloaded and burned. Am I doing something wrong or is it my disk
> copy?

You're not offerring too many details to work with.

Have you tried another disk? What are you expecting (i.e., what
wm/de)? Is your video card supported? Has it worked before with
debian? Can you get back to the console and check you xorg log for
error messages? Did you follow the installation instructions found on
the debian website? Have you looked at any documentation? Basically,
what have you done?

-Neal