Old 05-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Peter Tenenbaum

Default No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Hi, again -- I recently posted on an issue with installing Debian Lenny on a new workstation with a Lite-On DVD writer. *I had thought that the problem was the driver, but it turns out that my problem is a more familiar one, the "No common CD-ROM drive was detected" error with SATA optical drives. *I've seen a couple of suggestions around the internet for what to do, but I'm not able to understand them well enough to use them.

1. *Boot in expert26 mode and deselect ata-piix. *My problem is that I don't know how to boot into expert26 mode from the Debian Lenny DVD I have. *Can I defeat the autorun of the installer on the Debian DVDs? *It looks like I can edit the commands which come up on the installer boot menu, so maybe that's the thing to do.

2. *Any other suggestions for how to get around this apparently-notorious issue in the installer? *There are many references to it over the years, but many of them are several years old and I'm reluctant to try them out now.

Thanks in advance,-PT

Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:27:55 -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> Hi, again -- I recently posted on an issue with installing Debian Lenny
> on a new workstation with a Lite-On DVD writer. I had thought that the
> problem was the driver, but it turns out that my problem is a more
> familiar one, the "No common CD-ROM drive was detected" error with SATA
> optical drives.

Strange... I did not see that error when installing Lenny from any of my
sata DVD drives :-?

Could this be related to the BIOS SATA mode? I expressly switch all my
computers to use AHCI (not "RAID" nor "enhanced SATA" mode) whether
available.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Peter Tenenbaum

Camaleon -- your suggestion did the trick! *I changed the appropriate BIOS setting to AHCI, and the install was able to continue. *The installer is currently setting up the filesystem on the hard drive...

Thanks for straightening that out for me!
-PT