Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default How long squeez supported

Camaleón:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:22:46 +0530, emigrant wrote:
>
>> thanks.
>
> It has not been released yet! :-)
>
> ~2 years after it gets released, AFAIK.

NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.

J.
--
Driving behind lorries carrying hazardous chemicals makes me wish for a
simpler life.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
David Jardine

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 05:57:04PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:22:46 +0530, emigrant wrote:
>
> > thanks.
>
> It has not been released yet! :-)
>
> ~2 years after it gets released, AFAIK.

I think it's one year after the following release makes squeeze
oldstable - probably nearer three year's from the squeeze release
date.

David

Old 05-31-2010, 06:27 PM
emigrant

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:21 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Camaleón:
> > On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:22:46 +0530, emigrant wrote:
> >
> >> thanks.
> >
> > It has not been released yet! :-)
> >
> > ~2 years after it gets released, AFAIK.
>
> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.
>
> J.

:-(
is the life cycle of debian such short?
isn't lenny available for a long time now? i understand it is a major
release.
and isn't squeez a major release too?

thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:21:47 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Camaleón:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:22:46 +0530, emigrant wrote:
>>
>>> thanks.
>>
>> It has not been released yet! :-)
>>
>> ~2 years after it gets released, AFAIK.
>
> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.

Let's make numbers :-)

Lenny was relased on "2009-02-14" and will be supported one year after
Squeeze is released, so... giving that Squeeze is not still out, that
gives me more than 2 years of support for Lenny unless I've made any
mistakes in my calculations :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Jochen Schulz

emigrant:
> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:21 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>
>> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
>> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.

D'ouh. Of course, I meant to write "that's more than two years in
total".

> :-(
> is the life cycle of debian such short?

Why 'short'? Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history

Lenny was released in February 2009. If squeeze is released, say in
October 2010, Lenny will go out of support in October 2011. That's a
lifecycle of two years and eight months.

> isn't lenny available for a long time now? i understand it is a major
> release.
> and isn't squeez a major release too?

Yes and yes. Major releases have code names, point releases just
increment the version number by a fraction.

J.
--
When I am at nightclubs I enjoy looking at other people and assessing
their imagined problems.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
emigrant

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:50 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> emigrant:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:21 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >>
> >> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
> >> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.
>
> D'ouh. Of course, I meant to write "that's more than two years in
> total".
>
> > :-(
> > is the life cycle of debian such short?
>
> Why 'short'? Take a look at this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history
>
> Lenny was released in February 2009. If squeeze is released, say in
> October 2010, Lenny will go out of support in October 2011. That's a
> lifecycle of two years and eight months.
>
> > isn't lenny available for a long time now? i understand it is a major
> > release.
> > and isn't squeez a major release too?
>
> Yes and yes. Major releases have code names, point releases just
> increment the version number by a fraction.
>
> J.

Thanks a lot Jochen Schulz

Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Jimmy Johnson

emigrant wrote:

> How long is squeeze supported?

thanks.

The short answer is at least 3 years.

Two years as stable and one year as old-stable, but we are talking about
Debian, so those times and days can get stretched a bit. :-)

--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4C04127F.9060702@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C04127F.9060702@gmail.com

Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 31 mai 10, 20:21:47, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Camaleón:
> > On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:22:46 +0530, emigrant wrote:
> >
> >> thanks.
> >
> > It has not been released yet! :-)
> >
> > ~2 years after it gets released, AFAIK.
>
> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.

...but not more than the next major release (but this is highly unlikely
to ever happen), because Debian can't support 3 releases at the same
time.

Regards,
Andrei