Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Aneurin Price

Default PCI-E mini wireless card to use Debian as AP

Hello all,

I have a computer running Debian which I'm using as a router. The
motherboard has a mini PCI-E slot (it's an integrated Atom board) and
I'd like to plug in a wireless card to use the machine as an access
point. The problem is that PCI-E mini wireless cards don't seem to be
all that common outside of spares for specific laptops, and it's hard
to find out what chipset a given card uses, and hence whether it has
Linux drivers that support master mode. I've spent ages searching now
and so far the best I can come up with is that the Intel 5300, which
seems the easiest to find, probably can't be used as an access point.
I don't have much experience with wireless and it's quite overwhelming
that devices don't say what chip they use; there can be small
variations in model number belying completely different hardware;
there can be multiple drivers for the same device, each with its own
drawbacks, etc.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and/or can suggest any
cards which would be suitable? Draft N support would be nice, but not
essential. I am in the UK which may or may not make it harder - most
places don't seem to sell mini PCI-E cards, but maybe that's the same
worldwide.

Thanks for your time,
Nye

(PS: could you please CC me on any replies as I am not subscribed to
the list and Gmail doesn't seem to provide any way to set MFT)

Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Aneurin Price

[Replying to list as I guess this might be of use to others]

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 06:44, Cameron Hutchison <camh@xdna.net> wrote:
>>Does anyone have any experience of doing this and/or can suggest any
>>cards which would be suitable? Draft N support would be nice, but not
>>essential. I am in the UK which may or may not make it harder - most
>>places don't seem to sell mini PCI-E cards, but maybe that's the same
>>worldwide.
>
> I recently purchased an atheros mini pcie half-card off ebay. Most of
> the sellers of these will ship world-wide. Prices are around $US15-20.
> Search ebay for "atheros mini pci half".

For some reason I didn't even think to check eBay. Good idea :-)

> If you leave "half" out of the search, it turns up a number of AR5008
> models. I read recently that these are not so well supported, so you may
> want to skip them.
>
> Anyway, I stuck one of these into my laptop today and turned it into an
> access point successfully.
>
> These use the ath9k driver, which is one of the most mature drivers in
> the Linux tree, with full open source - no binary blobs needed as far as
> I know. Certainly no host-side blobs.
>
> One downside to the card I got it that is has a single radio for
> 802.11n - no 5Ghz band. For an AP, you probably want to make sure you
> get a dual-band radio that works on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

It looks like there are a range of Atheros devices, all cheaper than
buying them from anywhere else I've looked. Unless anyone pipes up
with a horror story, I'll try an AR9287 since it's cheap enough that I
won't get too upset if it all goes pear shaped. I can't find any
reports of problems with that device, though it has only recently
become supported (should work with the kernel currently in
testing/unstable/backports AFAICT). Of course, I couldn't find any
*recent* reports of problems with the AR5008 you mention either, so
perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

> Hope this helps somewhat.

I think so - especially the mention of that specific driver as a good
choice helps narrow down the field. Thanks for your input.

Next I need to figure out what antennas I need to get. I'll try to
report back if it ends in success - or disaster.

Nye

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Aneurin Price

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:38, Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like there are a range of Atheros devices, all cheaper than
> buying them from anywhere else I've looked. Unless anyone pipes up
> with a horror story, I'll try an AR9287 since it's cheap enough that I
> won't get too upset if it all goes pear shaped. I can't find any
> reports of problems with that device, though it has only recently
> become supported (should work with the kernel currently in
> testing/unstable/backports AFAICT). Of course, I couldn't find any
> *recent* reports of problems with the AR5008 you mention either, so
> perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.
>

> Next I need to figure out what antennas I need to get. I'll try to
> report back if it ends in success - or disaster.

Mixed results: the range is terrible, although I believe that is
entirely due to a poor choice of antennas.

With Linux 2.6.32 from lenny-backports the device seems to work fine
for creating an open network, but I can't seem to persuade it to use
any kind of security - hostapd always says 'deauthenticated due to
local deauth request'. I've tried a wide range of configuration
options to no avail. This isn't especially important to me though as I
don't really mind leaving the AP open - just thought I'd mention it
for the record.

Nye