Old 05-31-2010, 09:24 AM
freeman

Default Hot CPU!

Today my CPU seemingly jumped to 85' C and remained there without one change
during three 15 min. sessions.

Weird in numerous ways.

It never stays at the same temperature.

It has achieved 74' C maybe 6 times in 4 years.

The fan achieved a speed I have never seen and stayed there.

It was that hot on the first boot, on opening Gnome and getting a look at
the temp first thing because the fan, which usually starts well into
session, was so loud.

The exhaust didn't seem particularly warm (but that could be attributed to
volume.)

I removed, cleaned and replaced the cooling unit/fan. All returned to normal
on the next session: temps in the 30's on idle, 40's on average work, 50's
on a load, spikes into the 60's on extended load.

I guess I'll never know. How could a dust buildup cause a sudden change in
the course of one session? I didn't see anything that seemed to have been
sucked in all at once.

The Debian part is, could sensor reporting by ACPI, I8K (for Dell) and
libsensors be dead-ended at 85' C?

I am thinking that physically removing and replacing the cooling unit maybe
got me a lucky realignment of sensors or something. 85' C would just have
been a default on failing.

But the fan had to be in on the bad information too. Does it's information
come from the kernel.

BTW, this is a Pentium M, 1.6 GHz., which is suppose to handle heat well.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 31 May 2010 02:24:57 -0700, freeman wrote:

> Today my CPU seemingly jumped to 85' C and remained there without one
> change during three 15 min. sessions.

Did you check that values from BIOS or other sources?

(...)

> I guess I'll never know. How could a dust buildup cause a sudden change
> in the course of one session? I didn't see anything that seemed to have
> been sucked in all at once.

Bad heatsink or old fan?

> The Debian part is, could sensor reporting by ACPI, I8K (for Dell) and
> libsensors be dead-ended at 85' C?

"lmsensors" reads the values provided by the BIOS but can they be wrong
unless you load the right modules.

> I am thinking that physically removing and replacing the cooling unit
> maybe got me a lucky realignment of sensors or something. 85' C would
> just have been a default on failing.

As you changed "nothing" is quite strange, but I would just replace the
whole heatsink with a newer one, put a new layer of thermal paste and
check for any BIOS update.

> But the fan had to be in on the bad information too. Does it's
> information come from the kernel.

It comes from BIOS. You better check the BIOS values to reassure.

> BTW, this is a Pentium M, 1.6 GHz., which is suppose to handle heat
> well.

IIRC, Pentium M saga was not very "wattage hungry", I mean, it had a very
low TDP (<30W) :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Anand Sivaram

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 22:44, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 31 May 2010 02:24:57 -0700, freeman wrote:

> Today my CPU seemingly jumped to 85' C and remained there without one

> change during three 15 min. sessions.

Did you check that values from BIOS or other sources?

(...)

> I guess I'll never know. How could a dust buildup cause a sudden change

> in the course of one session? *I didn't see anything that seemed to have

> been sucked in all at once.

Bad heatsink or old fan?

> The Debian part is, could sensor reporting by ACPI, I8K (for Dell) and

> libsensors be dead-ended at 85' C?

"lmsensors" reads the values provided by the BIOS but can they be wrong

unless you load the right modules.

> I am thinking that physically removing and replacing the cooling unit

> maybe got me a lucky realignment of sensors or something. *85' C would

> just have been a default on failing.

As you changed "nothing" is quite strange, but I would just replace the

whole heatsink with a newer one, put a new layer of thermal paste and

check for any BIOS update.

> But the fan had to be in on the bad information too. *Does it's

> information come from the kernel.

It comes from BIOS. You better check the BIOS values to reassure.

> BTW, this is a Pentium M, 1.6 GHz., which is suppose to handle heat

> well.

IIRC, Pentium M saga was not very "wattage hungry", I mean, it had a very

low TDP (<30W) :-?

Greetings,

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.05.31.17.14.27@gmail.com

I found a problem like that once with athlon x2, it used to go to more than 100C during some oridinary work. *I opened the case, used a vacuum cleaner to clean everything thoroghly, and after that the cpu remained at 45C only.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Freeman

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 05:14:27PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 02:24:57 -0700, freeman wrote:
>
> > Today my CPU seemingly jumped to 85' C and remained there without one
> > change during three 15 min. sessions.
>
> Did you check that values from BIOS or other sources?

The BIOS doesn't give me that. I used the three programs listed below.

> (...)
>
> > I guess I'll never know. How could a dust buildup cause a sudden change
> > in the course of one session? I didn't see anything that seemed to have
> > been sucked in all at once.
>
> Bad heatsink or old fan?

Maybe. It seems to be holding up normally since that post.

> > The Debian part is, could sensor reporting by ACPI, I8K (for Dell) and
> > libsensors be dead-ended at 85' C?
>
> "lmsensors" reads the values provided by the BIOS but can they be wrong
> unless you load the right modules.

lmsensors, i8k and acpi all agree. Also they have been consistent for years,
and consistent with this computer's twin.

> > I am thinking that physically removing and replacing the cooling unit
> > maybe got me a lucky realignment of sensors or something. 85' C would
> > just have been a default on failing.
>
> As you changed "nothing" is quite strange, but I would just replace the
> whole heatsink with a newer one, put a new layer of thermal paste and
> check for any BIOS update.

I put the thermal past. I'll check for an update. Expenditures are "urgent
only" for the time being. :-(

The cooling unit has a pressure plate and liquid conduit tube to the
heatsink.

> > But the fan had to be in on the bad information too. Does it's
> > information come from the kernel.
>
> It comes from BIOS. You better check the BIOS values to reassure.

The thing I didn't express well, methinks the temperature was oscillating.
It always does. Thereby a constant 85'C was a misreport. Things were
more likely either normal or approaching 102'C, the red line. That blowing
out some dust fixed it only confuses things, really. :-)

> > BTW, this is a Pentium M, 1.6 GHz., which is suppose to handle heat
> > well.
>
> IIRC, Pentium M saga was not very "wattage hungry", I mean, it had a very
> low TDP (<30W) :-?

This one is 24.5W at 0.956 - 1.484 V.

It steps at .6 .8 1.0 1.2 1.4 & 1.6 .

I really like these machines, two little Dell Inspiron 600m's. Of course,
at 5 & 6 years of banging around town with me, I have to expect maintenance
like this. The other is headless but runs a 1440x990 desktop LCD without
problem.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer.