Old 05-31-2010, 04:04 AM
Peter Tenenbaum

Default driver for Lite-on iHAS324-98 DVD writer

Does anyone know where I can find a linux driver for the Lite-on iHAS324-98 DVD writer? *I'm trying to install Debian on a brand-new, assembled-from-parts workstation, and I'm getting a complaint about this. *Interestingly, the DVD reader is recognized well enough to boot from the Debian DVD I inserted into the drive!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,-PT

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a linux driver for the Lite-on
iHAS324-98 DVD writer? �I'm trying to install Debian on a brand-new,
assembled-from-parts workstation, and I'm getting a complaint about
this. �Interestingly, the DVD reader is recognized well enough to boot
from the Debian DVD I inserted into the drive!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
-PT

On the boot kernel line try cheat code "rootdelay=10" without the
quotes, that will give the installer more time to load the cd, it also
works swell for flash drive installs.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4C036089.20402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C036089.20402@gmail.com

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Peter Tenenbaum

Mr. Johnson --*
Regarding your suggestion of adding a rootdelay=10 line to the boot kernel: *how do I go about doing that? *I'm attempting to install onto a blank hard drive from Debian Lenny DVDs, so I don't think there's anywhere that I can write to which makes sense. *Would I need to do a boot from USB drive to make this work?

-PT

Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

Mr. Johnson --�

Regarding your suggestion of adding a rootdelay=10 line to the boot
kernel: �how do I go about doing that? �I'm attempting to install onto a
blank hard drive from Debian Lenny DVDs, so I don't think there's
anywhere that I can write to which makes sense. �Would I need to do a
boot from USB drive to make this work?

After you boot the cd and then you choose your option for the install
you you will be able to hit an F key or tab key to choose boot options.

I do a lot of different installs so the Debian installer is a little
fuzzy in my head right know, play with the installer, but what you are
looking for is a place to add boot options.