Old 05-31-2010, 12:52 AM
emigrant

Default Install squeeze in VM but couldn't not find network-manager

hi,
i installed squeeze in sun virtual box by only downloading the first cd
image.
i couldn't find the network-manager,
doesn't it come by default?
and how can i install it?

i gave
su-
gave password and gave:

apt-get install network-manager

but it says the package may be refered to by another source.

how can i get this thing installed?

thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:22:10 +0530, emigrant wrote:

> i installed squeeze in sun virtual box by only downloading the first cd
> image.
> i couldn't find the network-manager,
> doesn't it come by default?
> and how can i install it?

It should be there:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/network-manager

Have you configured the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to use the online
repos?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM
emigrant

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 17:19 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:22:10 +0530, emigrant wrote:

> It should be there:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/network-manager
>
> Have you configured the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to use the online
> repos?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

thanks for the reply.
after seeing your reply i configured the source list by adding the
following:

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
non-free

and then installed network-manager.

but, this implies, i cannot configure the source list or install new
necessary things to get up an internet connection *without* having an
internet connection already?...?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:47:08 +0530, emigrant wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 17:19 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> It should be there:
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/network-manager
>>
>> Have you configured the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to use the online
>> repos?
>>

> thanks for the reply.
> after seeing your reply i configured the source list by adding the
> following:
>

> deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main deb
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free deb-src
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free deb
> http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
> non-free
>
> and then installed network-manager.

Good :-)

> but, this implies, i cannot configure the source list or install new
> necessary things to get up an internet connection *without* having an
> internet connection already?...?

Well, "network-manager" is not required to configure and use the network,
the standard method (ifup) is still available.

Anyway, it seems "network-manager" package is included in CD#4:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/list-cd/debian-testing-i386-CD-4.list.gz

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM
emigrant

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 08:38 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:47:08 +0530, emigrant wrote:

> > but, this implies, i cannot configure the source list or install new
> > necessary things to get up an internet connection *without* having an
> > internet connection already?...?
>
> Well, "network-manager" is not required to configure and use the network,
> the standard method (ifup) is still available.
>
> Anyway, it seems "network-manager" package is included in CD#4:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/list-cd/debian-testing-i386-CD-4.list.gz
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

thanks for the reply Camaleon.
and sorry for my ignorance,
how can i get my mobile broadband up at the first time itself and only
with cd1 downloaded?

thanks a lot.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:35:33 +0530, emigrant wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 08:38 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:47:08 +0530, emigrant wrote:
>
>> > but, this implies, i cannot configure the source list or install new
>> > necessary things to get up an internet connection *without* having an
>> > internet connection already?...?
>>
>> Well, "network-manager" is not required to configure and use the
>> network, the standard method (ifup) is still available.
>>
>> Anyway, it seems "network-manager" package is included in CD#4:
>>
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/list-cd/debian-
testing-i386-CD-4.list.gz

> thanks for the reply Camaleon.
> and sorry for my ignorance,
> how can i get my mobile broadband up at the first time itself and only
> with cd1 downloaded?

I even don't know how to setup a mobile broadband connection with
"network-manager", so I'm afraid I'm not the indicated person to ask for
this :-P

There are "ppp" packages available in the first CD, but I'm not sure
whether UMTS could be configured with just that :-?

Better open a new thread with a modified subject (to get the attention of
people in the know) and wait for any advice.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
emigrant

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 10:28 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:35:33 +0530, emigrant wrote:

> >> Well, "network-manager" is not required to configure and use the
> >> network, the standard method (ifup) is still available.
> >>
> >> Anyway, it seems "network-manager" package is included in CD#4:
> >>
> >> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/list-cd/debian-
> testing-i386-CD-4.list.gz
> >>
> > thanks for the reply Camaleon.
> > and sorry for my ignorance,
> > how can i get my mobile broadband up at the first time itself and only
> > with cd1 downloaded?
>
> I even don't know how to setup a mobile broadband connection with
> "network-manager", so I'm afraid I'm not the indicated person to ask for
> this :-P
>
> There are "ppp" packages available in the first CD, but I'm not sure
> whether UMTS could be configured with just that :-?
>
> Better open a new thread with a modified subject (to get the attention of
> people in the know) and wait for any advice.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

thanks a lot Camaleon,