FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 AM
lrhorer
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

Peter Beck wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
>> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
>> squeeze? have things changed from then??
>
> I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to use
> the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the box
> with networkmanager 0.8
>
>> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
>
> absolutely easy. for me at least.

The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated USB modem,
or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
going to need usb_modeswitch.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 7dKdnUZ8mtW2YJ_RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/7dKdnUZ8mtW2YJ_RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM
emigrant
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:04 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> Peter Beck wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
> >> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
> >> squeeze? have things changed from then??
> >
> > I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to use
> > the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the box
> > with networkmanager 0.8
> >
> >> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
> >
> > absolutely easy. for me at least.
>
> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated USB modem,
> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
> going to need usb_modeswitch.
>
>

hi,
thanks all for your replies.
what i can say of my modem is,
its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
distros iv checked so far)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1275266622.1547.37.camel@arshad-desktop">http://lists.debian.org/1275266622.1547.37.camel@arshad-desktop
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 AM
lrhorer
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

emigrant wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:04 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
>> Peter Beck wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
>> >> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
>> >> squeeze? have things changed from then??
>> >
>> > I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to
>> > use the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the
>> > box with networkmanager 0.8
>> >
>> >> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
>> >
>> > absolutely easy. for me at least.
>>
>> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated
>> USB modem,
>> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
>> going to need usb_modeswitch.
>>
>>
>
> hi,
> thanks all for your replies.
> what i can say of my modem is,
> its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
> and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
> distros iv checked so far)

That doesn't really say anything. With the modem plugged in, what is
the result of

`lsusb -v`


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 7dKdnUF8mtXylJ7RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/7dKdnUF8mtXylJ7RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com
 
Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 AM
emigrant
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:57 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> emigrant wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:04 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> >> Peter Beck wrote:
> >>
> >> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
> >> >> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
> >> >> squeeze? have things changed from then??
> >> >
> >> > I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had to
> >> > use the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out of the
> >> > box with networkmanager 0.8
> >> >
> >> >> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
> >> >
> >> > absolutely easy. for me at least.
> >>
> >> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a dedicated
> >> USB modem,
> >> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter, he's
> >> going to need usb_modeswitch.
> >>
> >>
> >
> > hi,
> > thanks all for your replies.
> > what i can say of my modem is,
> > its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
> > and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
> > distros iv checked so far)
>
> That doesn't really say anything. With the modem plugged in, what is
> the result of
>
> `lsusb -v`
>
>



lsusb -v

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220
HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
idProduct 0x1003 E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
bcdDevice 0.00
iManufacturer 3
iProduct 2
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 108
bNumInterfaces 4
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 1
bmAttributes 0xe0
Self Powered
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 5
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 2
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 3
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x85 EP 5 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1275269518.1547.42.camel@arshad-desktop">http://lists.debian.org/1275269518.1547.42.camel@arshad-desktop
 
Old 05-31-2010, 02:01 AM
lrhorer
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

emigrant wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:57 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
>> emigrant wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:04 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
>> >> Peter Beck wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 23:27 +0530, arshad wrote:
>> >> >> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box
>> >> >> in squeeze? have things changed from then??
>> >> >
>> >> > I am using a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS PCMCIA card, in Lenny i had
>> >> > to use the tools from betavine, now in squeeze it's working out
>> >> > of the box with networkmanager 0.8
>> >> >
>> >> >> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?
>> >> >
>> >> > absolutely easy. for me at least.
>> >>
>> >> The question is, "Does he have a PCMCIA card or a
>> >> dedicated USB modem,
>> >> or is it one of the multi-function USB dongles?" If the latter,
>> >> he's going to need usb_modeswitch.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> > hi,
>> > thanks all for your replies.
>> > what i can say of my modem is,
>> > its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
>> > and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
>> > distros iv checked so far)
>>
>> That doesn't really say anything. With the modem plugged in, what is
>> the result of
>>
>> `lsusb -v`
>>
>>
>
>
>
> lsusb -v
>
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220
> HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
> Device Descriptor:
> bLength 18
> bDescriptorType 1
> bcdUSB 2.00
> bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
> bDeviceSubClass 0
> bDeviceProtocol 0
> bMaxPacketSize0 64
> idVendor 0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
> idProduct 0x1003 E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
> bcdDevice 0.00
> iManufacturer 3
> iProduct 2
> iSerial 0
> bNumConfigurations 1

<snip>

> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 4
> bInterfaceNumber 2
> bAlternateSetting 0
> bNumEndpoints 2
> bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
> bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
> bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)

<snip>

Yep, it's a Huawei E220. If you will look on the link I sent you, you
will see it there. It's a "flip-flop" device, also called "Zero-CD".
When first inserted into a USB port, it is a drive device, similar to a
USB "thumbdrive". It contains the software windows needs to load in
order to access the device. Note the description:

Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 3
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)

The dongle looks like a SCSI device to the OS. It needs to have its
mode switched so it looks and acts like a modem (or in general whatever
the secondary device might be), rather than a USB drive. That's the
purpose of usb_modeswitch. After the switch takes place, it will look
and act like a usb dial-up modem as far as Linux is concerned. (Some
dongles also have drive devices built in to read and write memory
sticks as well as their modem function.) Usb-modeswitch and
usb-modeswitch-data are both part of the Debian "Squeeze" distro,
although it doesn't look as if they are loaded automatically. You will
need to use apt-get (or aptitude, or synaptic, ...) to install them.
Once usb_modeswitch is run, the output of lsusb will show something
like:

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1f28:0020 Cal-Comp
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 2 Communications
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x1f28 Cal-Comp
idProduct 0x0020
bcdDevice 0.00
iManufacturer 1 Cal-comp E&CC Limited
iProduct 2 Cal-comp CDMA USB Modem A600
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 189
bNumInterfaces 7
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 1
bInterfaceClass 2 Communications
bInterfaceSubClass 2 Abstract (modem)
bInterfaceProtocol 1 AT-commands (v.25ter)
iInterface 3 Data Interface

How automated the use of the dongle can be under "Squeeze" right out of
the box, I couldn't tell you. I'm running a Cricket A600 modem
under "Squeeze", but I'm using the box as a broadband router, so
everything from the dialing scripts on up are custom.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 7dKdnUB8mtXvhZ7RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/7dKdnUB8mtXvhZ7RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com
 
Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 AM
emigrant
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 21:01 -0500, lrhorer wrote:

>
> Yep, it's a Huawei E220. If you will look on the link I sent you, you
> will see it there. It's a "flip-flop" device, also called "Zero-CD".
> When first inserted into a USB port, it is a drive device, similar to a
> USB "thumbdrive". It contains the software windows needs to load in
> order to access the device. Note the description:
>
> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 4
> bInterfaceNumber 3
> bAlternateSetting 0
> bNumEndpoints 2
> bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
> bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
> bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
>
> The dongle looks like a SCSI device to the OS. It needs to have its
> mode switched so it looks and acts like a modem (or in general whatever
> the secondary device might be), rather than a USB drive. That's the
> purpose of usb_modeswitch. After the switch takes place, it will look
> and act like a usb dial-up modem as far as Linux is concerned. (Some
> dongles also have drive devices built in to read and write memory
> sticks as well as their modem function.) Usb-modeswitch and
> usb-modeswitch-data are both part of the Debian "Squeeze" distro,
> although it doesn't look as if they are loaded automatically. You will
> need to use apt-get (or aptitude, or synaptic, ...) to install them.
> Once usb_modeswitch is run, the output of lsusb will show something
> like:
>
> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1f28:0020 Cal-Comp
> Device Descriptor:
> bLength 18
> bDescriptorType 1
> bcdUSB 1.10
> bDeviceClass 2 Communications
> bDeviceSubClass 0
> bDeviceProtocol 0
> bMaxPacketSize0 64
> idVendor 0x1f28 Cal-Comp
> idProduct 0x0020
> bcdDevice 0.00
> iManufacturer 1 Cal-comp E&CC Limited
> iProduct 2 Cal-comp CDMA USB Modem A600
> iSerial 0
> bNumConfigurations 1
> Configuration Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 2
> wTotalLength 189
> bNumInterfaces 7
> bConfigurationValue 1
> iConfiguration 0
> bmAttributes 0xa0
> (Bus Powered)
> Remote Wakeup
> MaxPower 500mA
> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 4
> bInterfaceNumber 0
> bAlternateSetting 0
> bNumEndpoints 1
> bInterfaceClass 2 Communications
> bInterfaceSubClass 2 Abstract (modem)
> bInterfaceProtocol 1 AT-commands (v.25ter)
> iInterface 3 Data Interface
>
> How automated the use of the dongle can be under "Squeeze" right out of
> the box, I couldn't tell you. I'm running a Cricket A600 modem
> under "Squeeze", but I'm using the box as a broadband router, so
> everything from the dialing scripts on up are custom.
>
>

thank you very much Irhorer,
i appreciate you reply.
can you please tell me whether is it possible for me to apt-get before
an internet connection is established? or is it enough i have the cd1
only?

if not please, how can i download that in another machine which have
internet connection already.


thank you very much for your time.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1275282807.1794.2.camel@arshad-desktop">http://lists.debian.org/1275282807.1794.2.camel@arshad-desktop
 
Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 AM
lrhorer
 
Default Squeeze and mobile broadband...

> thank you very much Irhorer,

That's lrhorer, if you please, not irhorer.

> i appreciate you reply.
> can you please tell me whether is it possible for me to apt-get before
> an internet connection is established? or is it enough i have the cd1
> only?

Yes, and probably not. If all the files you need are on CDs (or DVDs)
you have in hand, then the files can be retrieved from them, butt he
odds any particular file are on CD #1 are pretty low. Note CDs and
DVDs offer no means of updates, including critical security updates, so
an internet connection is definitely preferred, but they will do in a
pinch, in particular as a means to obtain an internet connection in the
first place.

> if not please, how can i download that in another machine which have
> internet connection already.

You can download the tarball from the source, or you can download
the .deb file from the Debian repositories, or you can download the
entire .iso set from the Debian installation repositories and burn them
to disk. Honestly, it's probably a lot easier just to go somewhere
where you can get a wired or WiFi internet connection for the target PC
and use apt-get to obtain the necessary files.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 7dKdnUJ8mtW70Z7RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/7dKdnUJ8mtW70Z7RnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@giganews.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org